Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 11:03 AM

Default RMX RTAS Multi-Channel bus hog?

Curious to hear if others have had similar experiences--

I've noticed sometimes within Stylus RMX, that if I begin to assign multiple outs from Stylus's mixer, then choose them as inputs in instrument tracks, that it can sometimes screw up bus assignments that were already set on other auxes. For example, I had a stereo aux that had been monitoring the BFD rooms suddenly assigned to "Stylus 4". If I tried to reselect "Room" again, the "Room" choice would appear in the pop-up, but I'd still get "Stylus 4" as my selection in the input when I released the mouse.

Also, possibly related, just now I began assigning outs in Stylus, and I found some of my dual-bus drum structure corrupted (one of the busses lost a side). Anybody else notice things like this with any multi-channel instrument plugs? Is it just Stylus?

One thing RMX does that bugs me is that everytime you change the patch selection in a part, it resets the out to "Output A", so you're always having to go back to the mixer page to reset it. It's a drag that you just can't set them to stay at 1 through 8. It seems that if there's a problem with grabbing or releasing available virtual busses between Stylus and PT, that this would only exacerbate the problem...
Old 02-14-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: RMX RTAS Multi-Channel bus hog?

Quote:
Curious to hear if others have had similar experiences--

One thing RMX does that bugs me is that everytime you change the patch selection in a part, it resets the out to "Output A", so you're always having to go back to the mixer page to reset it. It's a drag that you just can't set them to stay at 1 through 8. It seems that if there's a problem with grabbing or releasing available virtual busses between Stylus and PT, that this would only exacerbate the problem...
Just deselect the "settings" button in the Browser window to keep the mixer settings in RMX mixerpage. ( separate output routing etc)

The output/bus problems in Protools are not happing in our system. Maybe trashing your Digidatabase, repair diskpermissions etc, will solve this problem
Old 02-14-2007, 02:59 PM

Never had this problem. All good here.

Oh, turn off the "Settings" button when you're browsing for new elements, and your output assignments will stick.

I've experienced losing audio throughput on auxes, tracks, sends etc. many times, but never on 7.2 or 7.3.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Thanks for telling me about the "settings" button. Um...looking at the manual, it seems like there's some good reasons to leave it on, except for the fact that it changes the output channel... I don't use the sound-edit capabilites so much in RMX, I'm mostly just a go through the presets kind of guy, except occasionally when I want a tonal loop to be in a different key. I re-order the actual REX notes all the time to change the groove, but I don't do too much parameter changing for individual keys.

It seems to me that you'd probably want the mixer one of two ways most of the time--either everything out the same channel, or everything separated out of eight channels. It's too bad that can't be something quickly switched in the mixer window, and not have the patches load with a default output "A" setting everytime. If I were king...

As far as the bussing thing is concerned, it does seem to follow a pattern of slow degradation the longer I work without restarting. It will start fine and get worse the more multi-channel RTAS instruments I'm using (usually including RMX). Some timing issues will begin to occur as well. Like instruments will begin to fall out of sync with each other. But restarting seems to fix the problem. And it doesn't happen all the time.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:

It seems to me that you'd probably want the mixer one of two ways most of the time--either everything out the same channel, or everything separated out of eight channels. It's too bad that can't be something quickly switched in the mixer window, and not have the patches load with a default output "A" setting everytime. If I were king...

Well, I just found the part in the manual about making a default setup for yourself--maybe that will get me where I want to go as far as the RMX outputs. Thanks again for the responses.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:08 PM

Yeah, edit templates. Cool stuff.

Make sure to trash those Digidesign databases folders when RMX starts to act weird (i.e. meters slow and out of sync, and RMX doesn't respond to mouse clicks).