Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-01-2015, 09:55 AM

Default New here-potential buyer with a question

Can ALL the editing be done from the unit via the front panel?

I don't plan on buying pro-tools nor do I plan on using the PC editor if not required.

I prefer to edit from the panel.

Just figured since you can get them so cheap now (none bundled)... It'd be a shame to not pick one up.

I suppose there are no forthcoming updates or such... I kinda get the feeling this has become a legacy product for Avid in spirit if not in actuality...

Anywhoooo thanks for any help you may give.

peace!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:02 AM

Default Re: New here-potential buyer with a question

You can do everything from the front panel. Except save rigs somewhere else. If you don't use the Elever Rack Editor to save them you may lose them if the Eleven Rack ever has a problem or needs a memory reset. And you also need that to load rigs if you want to use ones from other people. Personally I could recreate all I use the Eleven Rack for in a few minutes of hand knob twiddling, for other folks saving and managing large libraries of rigs is critical.

Buy it for what you get, the Eleven Rack team long ago left the building, updates are very unlikely.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:29 PM

Thanks Darryl.
I figured as much on the likely-hood of receiving updates

I will only have about 3 patches... so all sounds good to me so far...

If you don't mind sharing your experience...
do you still use the unit as a daily driver so to speak?
did or do you gig with it?
Thanks again for the help!
Old 10-01-2015, 01:52 PM

I play it every few days. No I don't gig with it.

There are lots of past posts here about using it for live performances. The trap/thing to understand there is options for monitoring on stage. You cannot drive a live guitar cab on stage without the cab effects in the Eleven rig and at the same time drive a front of house sound with cab effects engaged. Those cab effects are global, either on or off the everything. (which would just make me lean towards using a full range monitor on stage if you are not already using in-ear monitoring).

for complex live setups and their MFC-101 pedalboard integration the Axe FX-II clearly offers more than the Eleven Rack.

I use KSC Q-10 with my Eleven Rack, did not have high expectations but went that way years ago based on recommendations from folks on DUC. And I've been pretty impressed with that combination.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:21 PM

Very good Thanks for taking the time!!
I don't really have a lot of complex needs.
I will plug it into the return of a small tube combo amp.

I was hoping to wait for the Fractal AX8, to drop, but who know when that will be

I can't really make myself spend what the AxeII costs right now...(putting kids through College and High School BOTH in BAND!! that gets quite expensive)

BTW if I may challenge your kindness one bit further... Is the Current Hardware platform the same as when released? Baring Firmware, I know about the upgrades and packs released... but has there been any Hardware revision that one might want to know about when buying?
Perhaps a build number to stay above or any upgrade to processing?
I plan to buy new, but who knows how long some stuff sits on a shelf

I appreciate your time Darryl. Thank you.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:05 PM

If you are buying new from a dealer there is nothing to worry about.

The big thing that really affect users is been the Expansion Pack several years ago that added a lot of nice amps etc. all new Eleven racks from dealers will have firmware pre-installed, its just standard now, it won't be talked about as an expansion pack. If buying used you want to make sure you get one with it, otherwise it will cost you around $100 to upgrade the firmware. Any eleven rack with firmware 2.x has the expansion pack.

There were minor fixes to the firmware updates back in the 1.0 days. I'm not even goign to go there as you just want to get the 2.x firmware/expansion pack version.

Some Rev E. units developed clock related problems that caused audio to stop working. And today would cost more to repair than just replace with another used unit. If buying used avoid any rev E. unit.