Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 08-02-2016, 12:24 PM

Default Recording Guitar | Frustrated (no audio on track after recording)

First time trying to record via PC (WIN7 Home Premium), old dog used to recording on 8 tracks and studio recording. I am using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools | First, I can create the track add all my plug-ins and see my levels and hear it perfectly but can't get it to record, i enable both record buttons and hit record and then play and it looks as if it's recording but when i stop it there IS a track but no sound (no graphic that would indicate a recorded track either)...I tried to watch SO many videos but none have helped, getting really frustrated for an old guitar slinger. The newbie would just like a little help figuring this out so I can get started making music...thanks.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Avid

Default Re: Recording Guitar | Frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock64 View Post
First time trying to record via PC (WIN7 Home Premium), old dog used to recording on 8 tracks and studio recording. I am using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools | First, I can create the track add all my plug-ins and see my levels and hear it perfectly but can't get it to record, i enable both record buttons and hit record and then play and it looks as if it's recording but when i stop it there IS a track but no sound (no graphic that would indicate a recorded track either)...I tried to watch SO many videos but none have helped, getting really frustrated for an old guitar slinger. The newbie would just like a little help figuring this out so I can get started making music...thanks.
Hi Aftershock64,

Before we continue, please check if the system requirements are met through here. Please try adjusting the buffer size. Also, you can try using ASIO 4 ALL as playback engine. Then reroute the I/O of the track to your Scarlet. A good system restart and optimization could also help. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983
Hope this helps.

Best,
Tope
Old 08-02-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hi Aftershock64,

Before we continue, please check if the system requirements are met through here. Please try adjusting the buffer size. Also, you can try using ASIO 4 ALL as playback engine. Then reroute the I/O of the track to your Scarlet. A good system restart and optimization could also help. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983
Hope this helps.

Best,
Tope
Yes, they meet or exceed the requirements and I have done all that you mentioned I just think I am setting up the track wrong and that is why it will not record...is there anywhere to go for a step by step setting up a guitar track to be sure I am doing everything right. Don't think a hardware or software issue just a user error...thanks.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 PM

What exact guitar/pickup and how exactly is it connected to the itnerface (what cable plug going into what input?). What is the mic/DI gain set to? Are you trying to use an instrument track? (it needs to be an audio track).

Post screenshots of your mix window showing all tracks and their IO assignments. If you zoom vertically in all the way on the track in the edit window do you see any waveform?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock64 View Post
...I can create the track add all my plug-ins and see my levels and hear it perfectly but can't get it to record, i enable both record buttons and hit record and then play and it looks as if it's recording but when i stop it there IS a track but no sound (no graphic that would indicate a recorded track either)...
Welcome to the community.

Sounds to me like you might be trying to record audio to an Instrument Track. Those are for virtual instruments (basically a MIDI Track and an Aux Track combined) and you'll see level while recording (since they support audio) but it won't capture audio (just MIDI). Can you confirm you are recording to an Audio Track? Thanks!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:56 AM

Yep, exactly what i was doing - - - my newbie brain was saying instrument track all the way. Ha! Well solved that problem...now I have a new one...

Last edited by jeffro; 08-04-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Moved new topic to new thread http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=383128
Old 08-04-2016, 10:03 AM

Glad that helped! (Moved your new topic to a new thread.)