Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2002, 03:21 PM

Default Headphone Impedance and the 001 Headphone amp

Hi,
This is an outgrowth of another thread I started, but I thought this might be better done by itself.

I've been using a pair of low impedance Sony 7506 headphones. I'm looking at getting new set, maybe the AKG 240DF to start or even Sennheiser HD600's, that are high impedance. I understand that high impedance headphones require and amp to drive them.

A couple of questions:

1) Is the amp in the 001 really suitable for driving a pair of 600 ohm headphones? I looked at the specs. Digi says it is. I just wonder about people's experience doing this.

2) What are people perceptions of the quality of the headphone amp in the 001? Does it color the mix a lot? How many people depend on headphones but believe they need to use an external amp of some type?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Old 05-13-2002, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Headphone Impedance and the 001 Headphone amp

The Digi outs seem fine with 600 ohms headphones. I have AKG 240DF and beyerdynamic DT990, both of which run 600 ohms. I find the 240's to be much quieter than the DT990's, even with the same power going through them, so there's more going on than just impedance- also a question of efficiency. The Digi headphone out was able to drive them both pretty loud before distortion started getting out of hand. At normal listening levels, though, there was no noticable distortion. As for question two -I'm always leery about built in headphone amps, but I have to admit, I rarely use the one in the oo1, so I can't fairly judge it.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:42 AM

Mark, I have a pair of K240DFs and have no problem driving them with Digi headphone amp. You do have to crank it up pretty high though to get a good level, something to remember if you switch between several 'phones. I also use an old pair of PBM’s that I bought in Germany years ago, they sound great and are really comfortable but are a little too flattering - a little like the Sony’s.
I use 'phones quite a bit (A/B'd with my monitors) right up until I'm ready to start doing a final mix. My biggest problem with them is the exaggerated imaging. I have wasted more than a few hours setting up some exotic 'ping ponging' delays that sound amazing in the cans but all but disappear in the 'real' world of studio monitors or home stereo.
I like the sound of the Digi amp better than from my mixer or from my dedicated headphone amp. Sounds pretty transparent to me and I have never driven it to distortion, even with quite efficient headphones.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:56 AM

Freeheel & English Jim,
Thanks for the info guys. I won't bother looking for a headphone amp just now. I'll just pick up a set of either AKG's or Sennheisers and A/B against my Sony's for awhile. After I see how that goes I'll make a decision.

Cheers,
Mark

E.J. - Really enjoying Flat Tire! Cool CD. Don't have it with me at this location, but the last tune is really tasty. Thanks! - Mark
Old 05-14-2002, 03:37 PM

Jim,
I think a little barley, yeast, water and hops plays a reoccuring theme in Allan's life. I was passing through Tower this weekend and ran into 'None Too Soon' which I went ahead and picked up. With a tap handle on the front, and a pint on the back, he's a man after my own heart!

Now, where's 'The Brewery'? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers mate,
Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by English Jim:
Suffice it to say we had had one or two bevies, but I think it came out very nice, quite atmospheric.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 05-14-2002, 05:52 PM

The Brewery was Allan's old studio in San Marcos. None to Soon has some good moments, but I don't like the guitar sound very much, very processed. I say that with some humility though as he used a couple of my personal amps and almost the entire stock of the store I owned. "Countdown" is very cool though. I like "Nuages" too - but much prefer the original (any one of the 50 or so versions).
Old 05-15-2002, 12:22 AM

Mark, Glad you're enjoying it. Takes a few listens but it is worth it. Not your typical shredding album that's for sure. I actually like the rain on So Long. I stood out on the front porch with a U87 in my hand(literally) and a long cable going back into the studio to a dat machine, while Holdsworth ran around in the pouring rain. Suffice it to say we had had one or two bevies, but I think it came out very nice, quite atmospheric.