Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-02-2006, 08:53 AM

Default Switching computers advice???

OK so I'm trading out G4 to a G5 and I just picked up my computer... I have upgraded protools LE so many times and the last disks I have is early 6 something... now on my G4 I have tiger/7.1 and I bought the tool-kit and have the disks for that but I need to get my G5 up to 7.0 in order to match. Is it possible to just copy my apps onto a DVD from the G4 and load them onto the G5? I can't rememeber if you can even do that and get them to work? I think you have to install them right? Also I have an iLok account so I should just be able to load all my programs Drumagog, BFD's, waves, plug-ins and other programs and just pop on my iLok key and be up and running right? The net in my studio is so slow and I guess I could move my computer to a place that has faster internet and download all these programs over again but do I need to do that? I'm wishing now that I had ordered disks for these programs instead of just paying online and downloading cause I have been bad about keeping track of serial numbers and pass codes...
any advice would help...
sam
Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Switching computers advice???

You cannot just copy the application(PT) over and expect it to work. There are a lot of other system files that get installed with the installation of the program. You will need to run an installer to do this properly. If you still have your serials for PT, mabye an upgrade email, etc... you should be able to re-download the installer. You might have to wait for a while for it to download on a slow connection, but oh well. A lot of plug-ins can be copied from your plug-in folder, to the new machine, and those that use the iLok for authorization, will work automatically. Those plugs that don't use the iLok, will need to be re-authorized via serial numbers etc... Keeping track of serial numbers, user names etc... is a PITA, but neccessary.

I hope this answered your questions.
Peace
Kelsey