Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 08-31-2017, 10:26 PM

Default Mbox mini high noise floor

Hi

Recently I have record armed both channel 1 and 2 and there is a a little preamp noise I can see visually in the meter and I can hear it too. Problem is that nothing is plugged in. I plug in the usual array or mics and the channels work but have the added noise floor. However, before I record arm the track, I can hear myself through the mic very clearly.

So immediately before this, I plugged in a second-hand VoiceLive Touch and there was a loud static and distortion, so I turned off the mbox immediately. It sounded like the sound I heard when I had a usb hub that wasn't working with my setup and had resolved after getting a belkin 3.0 usb hub.

I realised there was an update that day where Mavericks was no longer compatible with PT10.8.5, so I updated to PT 11.3.5. I am not getting any distortion or static anymore. Itunes works fine through my mbox.

So basically now, I can hear myself clearly through both channels when I don't record arm the channel. However when I do record arm either channels, higher noise floor comes in.

I am wondering if I fried both inputs on the mbox mini 3 (3rd gen) when I tested the Voice Live touch (if the signal was too hot) even though it was only inserted in 1 channel?

It doesn't make sense to me that the Mbox signal would be clean before I record arm the track...

thank you for any insights!

Macbook Pro 2011 22.3GHz Intel Core i5
OS 10.9.5
Mbox Mini (3rg Gen)
Pro Tools 11.3.1
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3