How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2015, 05:00 AM

Default Upgrade from Pro Tools 8 LE to 12 trouble

Hi!

My problem is pretty basic, and I thought it would be easier to solve it.

I bought Pro Tools 8 LE about 5 years ago, and haven't been using it the last 3 years. Recently I bought a new Macbook, but found out that Pro Tools 8 won't be able to run on OS 10.10 Yosemite.

Should I be able to freely download a newer version from the avid website?

I have an Authentication code on the CD envelope and a serial number on a sticker on the Mbox 3. It seems I need a registration card where there is supposed to be a Registration ID and some System ID?

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Upgrade from Pro Tools 8 LE to 12 trouble

Unfortunately PT 8 LE is not upgradeable to 12 (too old): https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...a-e428ea83e38c

You would have to buy a full PT12 license. OR, find a used license that is upgradeable:

Pro Tools 9, 10, or 11
Pro Tools Express bundled with Pro Tools | Mbox, Fast Track Solo, or Fast Track Duo interfaces only (InMusic versions of Pro Tools Express are not eligible)
Pro Tools M-Powered 6–8 or MP 9

I don't think anything other than 11 will get Yose compatibility: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 11-09-2015, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Should be able to download PT 11 and use it with my authentication code and Mbox 3, or pay to upgrade or however? Am I somehow licensed to use a PT version which works with Yosemite with my Pro Tools 8 LE purchase? And if so, what do I need to activate that license?

Or do I have to buy a new version all over again?

I'm not well acquainted with how all the different versions vary btw. I just need to get started..

Thank you

Last edited by Bervaa; 11-09-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 AM

You would only be able to download and run PT 11 if you also have a Pro Tools 11 license on your iLok 2. If you can find a used PT 11 license to buy somewhere, that would do it.

Joel

Home:

Rig:
Old 11-09-2015, 08:24 PM

Ok so my previous purchase of Pro Tools 8 LE won't get me anywhere what so ever then and I might aswell throw it in the sea or buy an older computer?

Trust me I would have bought a new PT already if I could afford it, I really really didn't think it would be a problem using it on this new fancy laptop which I spent all my money and more on.

This is very frustrating for me as I don't understand half of what all these M-powered Pro Tools super M-powered express LE HD things mean. I tried to educate myself through google but I only get more stressed cause of more information that I can't put together. I had this in mind when I bought PT 8 LE - just smooth sailing and no issues and as I understood when I bought it it came with the ability to upgrade.

And where would I find a used PT 11 license to buy? I never used iLok. I must use this USB protection system to run Pro Tools or what?

Basically, I would like any version of Pro Tools. ANY, as long as it runs. Just want to work..

I'm sorry I don't know enough to make this easy.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:51 PM

"We will continue to support Pro Tools LE software with customer service (CS) updates, but will no longer be developing any new releases beyond that. We are offering Pro Tools LE owners the opportunity to "crossgrade" to the new Pro Tools 9 software for $249 (vs. paying $599 regular price for new Pro Tools 9 software)."

This is probably old, it's from the PT 9 FAQ.

You said "OR, find a used license that is upgradeable:"

Is this what you meant, I can upgrade from 8 LE to 9, and then up to 12? Is that the best way?

Thank you.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:01 PM

or find someone selling their 11 or 12 outright

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-10-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bervaa View Post
Ok so my previous purchase of Pro Tools 8 LE won't get me anywhere what so ever then and I might aswell throw it in the sea or buy an older computer?

Trust me I would have bought a new PT already if I could afford it, I really really didn't think it would be a problem using it on this new fancy laptop which I spent all my money and more on.

This is very frustrating for me as I don't understand half of what all these M-powered Pro Tools super M-powered express LE HD things mean. I tried to educate myself through google but I only get more stressed cause of more information that I can't put together. I had this in mind when I bought PT 8 LE - just smooth sailing and no issues and as I understood when I bought it it came with the ability to upgrade.

And where would I find a used PT 11 license to buy? I never used iLok. I must use this USB protection system to run Pro Tools or what?

Basically, I would like any version of Pro Tools. ANY, as long as it runs. Just want to work..

I'm sorry I don't know enough to make this easy.
LE came bundled with certain Digidesign/Avid hardware. M-Powered came bundled with certain M-Audio hardware (when Avid owned M-Audio). HD is the high end version that is usually used with HD hardware.

As for the used license, there is a used section on this forum, or you could venture to the world of eBay. Just be sure you get the license properly transferred to you. And yes, an iLok is a physical USB key that holds the license for Pro Tools. You will need an iLok 2 for Pro Tools 11+. With LE, the license was tied to the hardware (Pro Tools looked specifically for an Avid interface).

Joel

Home:

Rig:
Old 06-30-2016, 08:18 PM

bervaa, your situation is absolutely identical to mine. I see you were searching about 6-7 months ago, now. Did you ever get satisfaction?? i agee, TOTALLY frustrating.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:15 PM

This is pretty ridiculous.

Propellerhead lets you upgrade from Reason 1 (2000) to Reason 9. Last year I upgraded from FL Studio 6 (2006) to 11. Steinberg lets you upgrade from Cubase 4 (also 2006). I see no precedent for this kind of greed - five years is not a very long time.

What REALLY pisses me off is Avid's newsletter. I registered my product and put up with endless webinar notifications in the hope of receiving important news, and I can find no mention of that fact that Pro Tools 8 users weren't going to be able to upgrade as of 2015. I checked on the Avid shop in December 2014 and saw that I was eligible. A month later, everything looked the same and I bought the upgrade. Nope! You want me to RE-BUY the software just to get a version that works on an operating system released only three years later.

No thanks! Count me out. There are some great DAWs out there. Reaper is calling my name.