Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-15-2015, 02:20 AM

Default Latency question

Hi!

For some reason, I get a pretty heavy latency when playing my hardware synth through an Aux track. The session is very light, and the song is not running while I test the synth. I have no plug-ins on the Aux track.
Changing the hardware buffer size to 32 samples won't do any changes. In fact, I can't hear any difference between 32 and 1028.

BUT, if I change the Aux track into an Audio track and record enable it, I have NO latency at all playing that same synth. So in the end, this is not a very big issue for me, because I can record without any latency. But I don't understand why the Aux channel is giving me so much latency? I wanna be able to play along to my session via an Aux track, without that latency.

I'm pretty new to PT11, so there might be something I've missed out on.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
Hi!

For some reason, I get a pretty heavy latency when playing my hardware synth through an Aux track. The session is very light, and the song is not running while I test the synth. I have no plug-ins on the Aux track.
Changing the hardware buffer size to 32 samples won't do any changes. In fact, I can't hear any difference between 32 and 1028.

BUT, if I change the Aux track into an Audio track and record enable it, I have NO latency at all playing that same synth. So in the end, this is not a very big issue for me, because I can record without any latency. But I don't understand why the Aux channel is giving me so much latency? I wanna be able to play along to my session via an Aux track, without that latency.

I'm pretty new to PT11, so there might be something I've missed out on.

Thanks for any help.
There should be no difference between using an aux track or audio track for the audio return into PT. Where is the MIDI to trigger your hardware synth coming from?

QAPLA!
Old 05-15-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There should be no difference between using an aux track or audio track for the audio return into PT. Where is the MIDI to trigger your hardware synth coming from?
Thanks for the reply, musicman691.

I am not using any MIDI to trigger the synth - I am simply playing on it.

I solved the problem by switching off the Delay Compensation, which was enabled by default. No latency on the Aux track now.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:22 PM

Audio tracks automatically go into low latency monitoring mode as soon as you record-enable them. This is how you are supposed to do it. Put the synth on an audio track and keep ADC on. Let PT sort out the timing of your performance as you play it with ADC on.

Meanwhile, aux tracks do not go into low latency monitoring mode. You would have to right click the CMP value and turn ADC off for that AUX channel while you record. But that is not how PT wants you to do it if you want to use ADC properly.

Turning off ADC for the whole session works since now the AUX track is not being compensated.

All it takes is one plugin somewhere in the session with latency to cause ADC to start delaying all the tracks to compensate.

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors
Blue / Shure, etc. microphones

Estonia 6' 8" Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://www.dc-choppah.com/
Old 05-17-2015, 08:26 PM

If you set the MIX window to show delay compensation, you will easily see what's going on, and if there are plugins causing lots of latency(I consider 64 samples to be more than I want). While tracking, I keep any big-latency plugins inactive(not bypassed). I do lots of VI stuff this way and never have latency issues(MiniGrand, Kontact, DB-33, etc).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 PM

Thanks Choppah & Albee for replies.

In PT10, my workflow while composing was always by playing along with the keyboard through an Aux track before doing the actual recording with MIDI & Audio.
An Aux is great for this. Because an Audio track won't work as a play-along track unless I actual record on it. Having an Audio track record enable will only feed audio when the song is not running, but if I play the song (not recording) the audio track stop feeding audio. So an Aux track is the only play-along option.

In PT10 I never had latency on Aux tracks, but now when I understand how PT11 works, my little issue is solved. And I really like PT11. The fact that it can use all my RAM was worth the upgrade.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
Having an Audio track record enable will only feed audio when the song is not running, but if I play the song (not recording) the audio track stop feeding audio.
Sounds like you are not using input monitoring correctly. Set Input Monitoring to Auto Input Monitoring. Read up what that means in the Pro Tools Reference Guide.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:19 PM

Hey Darryl.

Yes, I've always suspected I had some setting off. Will fix this! Thanks.