Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2000, 05:49 AM

Default WHY NO BOMBFACTORY????

Why the **** doesn't Bombfactory support Protools free? Can someone please fill me in? Digidesign? Anyone?...
Old 11-17-2000, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Default Re: WHY NO BOMBFACTORY????

That was Bomb Factory's choice.

------------------
Bruce Paine
Digidesign
Old 11-17-2000, 04:16 AM

Uhu.. And do you have any idea why? I have not.
Old 11-17-2000, 07:41 AM

Is it the same thing with Waves plug-ins?
Old 11-17-2000, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Bomb Factory and Antares decided that their plug-ins would not be compatible with Pro Tools FREE. I don't have any information as to the reason or reasons for either company's decision, so you would have to ask them. Even if I did have that information, I would still not presume to speak for another company. That is certainly their business and they can make whatever choices they feel are in their best interests.

Those are the only 2 companies that I know of whose RTAS or AudioSuite plug-ins definitely do not work with Pro Tools FREE, although we have not tested with every available third-party plug-in.

Waves works fine for me, running with Pro Tools FREE on a G3/500 laptop using a Griffin iMate USB to ADB adaptor for the dongle. I haven't upgraded to the new Waves 3.0 versions yet, which use challenge/response. While challenge/response definitely has some benefits, I like being able to move my Waves dongle from my laptop to my Digi 001 and TDM systems. Not sure how that would work with v3.0, maybe authorizing a common hard drive that could be moved and used on one system at a time.

As with any product, you should always check directly with the manufacturer regarding compatibility. See if Waves has done any testing on PT FREE and what they have to say about it.

------------------
Bruce Paine
Digidesign
Old 11-17-2000, 06:35 PM
Administrator

I haven't tried any of those, so I couldn't say. I read some about them on the audio lists and here, but I haven't been able to tell if there is a clear choice as to what works best. I think the state of flux between USB, firewire, OS X, etc. makes it a somewhat difficult time for companies, not to mention consumers, to know exactly which path to take. I mean, I've put off buying a CD burner for my laptop for months just waiting for firewire to surpass USB, and for software to catch up. And as soon as I get one, the 24x speed burners on some new protocol will be announced. (Apple just dropped the price of the Pismo 500 by $700 this week, by the way)
I did have a Magma 2-slot chassis on loan for a couple of months this summer, and it made for a nice Digi 001 setup. I never did get around to doing any live concert recording, though, and didn't work with it as much as I would have liked. Most of the time spent on the laptop is for web stuff.

Bruce
Old 11-18-2000, 12:28 AM

Thanks Bruce.
Old 11-18-2000, 12:59 AM

Hey Bruce ,as I can see,I'm working with the same powerbook setup as you .
Can you suggest me any audio interface for the PB 500.? (Roland ua30,Egosys u2a,digigram....)
thanks
digigirly
Old 11-19-2000, 08:54 AM

Well... I just wanna say that I think it sucks that "the enormous third party plugin market " aint that big anymore... Specially since the plugs that don't work with Protools free are the COOLEST and BEST... But as you say: that's Bombfactorys lousy choice...
Old 11-19-2000, 02:05 PM

Using BombFactory plug-ins with PTFree is kind of overkill, but if someone want it, why not let them to do?

BTW, what if cracks work with PTFree, so BF only lost couple of customers who would buy their plugs for PTFree? Now those customers have no choice and...

Their decision...
Przemek.