Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2020, 04:41 AM

Default ARA/ARA2 - why do I need them?

Rather than piggy-back on the track folders thread I figured that I'd start a new thread. I've done some Googling and from what I've read ARA/ARA2 seems to be for pitch shift/correction. Is there anything else that it's good for? The way I understand it is it does it's thing in real time versus sending audio to a program like Celemony, processing it there and then sending it back to PT.

Is that all it's good for? If I don't do pitch shift/correction why would I need it?

QAPLA!
Old 03-09-2020, 08:33 AM

Default Re: ARA/ARA2 - why do I need them?

It is a LIFESAVER with melodyne And not having to send audio to a secondary program and you can now send a lot of tracks at the same time to melodyne for pitchshifting and edit on the fly! Super Awesome and makes everything working with vocals and other fun stuff like guitars and so on much faster and more fun.

And it is really great for editing notes and changing a whole take by swapping around notes within the DAW! We keep using LogicX just for this as Live10 Suite doesn’t have ARA either which is a total damper on an otherwise very fun midi producing program.

If PT finally gets ARA and a bit more midi fixed and addons we could ditch all the other DAW’s and only use PT

I mentilon Melodyne as thats what we use but there are other programs that use ARA aswell but we use Melodyne for these tasks.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-09-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
It is a LIFESAVER with melodyne And not having to send audio to a secondary program and you can now send a lot of tracks at the same time to melodyne for pitchshifting and edit on the fly! Super Awesome and makes everything working with vocals and other fun stuff like guitars and so on much faster and more fun.

And it is really great for editing notes and changing a whole take by swapping around notes within the DAW! We keep using LogicX just for this as Live10 Suite doesn’t have ARA either which is a total damper on an otherwise very fun midi producing program.

If PT finally gets ARA and a bit more midi fixed and addons we could ditch all the other DAW’s and only use PT

I mentilon Melodyne as thats what we use but there are other programs that use ARA aswell but we use Melodyne for these tasks.
Like I wrote I don't do pitch shift/correction so I don't have/use Melodyne. What other programs use ARA and of what use would they be to me?

QAPLA!
Old 03-09-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Like I wrote I don't do pitch shift/correction so I don't have/use Melodyne. What other programs use ARA and of what use would they be to me?

At the moment, precious little. However, one application that would benefit immensely from adopting ARA2 is iZotope’s RX, which—when used from within PT—has a workflow that is best and charitably described as Byzantine (or Rube Goldberg-ish, if you prefer).

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 03-09-2020, 03:55 PM

Any plugin that has to “read” the audio before it can do anything with it would benefit. Generating triggers or audio to MIDI could be done without having to pre-scan the audio. Mind you, the audio data still gets scanned, it just wouldn’t be a separate manually initiated event any more.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-09-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Knecht View Post
At the moment, precious little. However, one application that would benefit immensely from adopting ARA2 is iZotope’s RX, which—when used from within PT—has a workflow that is best and charitably described as Byzantine (or Rube Goldberg-ish, if you prefer).
I've gotten quite used to the way iZotope RX works with PT - got it down to pure muscle memory. Somehow I wonder what the extra cpu load would be with ARA2 and say RX in constant contact.

QAPLA!
Old 05-08-2020, 05:11 AM

Default Melodyne ARA

Has there been any hint or talk of Avid providing support for Melodyne ARA (Audio Random Access)?

According to the Celemony Website:
Quote:
ARA Audio Random Access™ allows a DAW and plug-in to exchange information about the audio file, tempo, pitch, rhythm and much else besides and thereby work considerably more closely together. The plug-in is closer to what’s going on in the DAW and therefore runs more smoothly and efficiently. The DAW, for its part, can integrate the plug-in far more fully and make more targeted use of it – as though the plug-in were part of the DAW....

...On the DAW side, ARA is currently supported by Apple Logic Pro X, Steinberg Cubase and Nuendo, Presonus Studio One, Bandlab Cakewalk, Magix Samplitude Pro, Cockos Reaper, Acoustica Mixcraft and Tracktion Waveform. Another plug-in that employs ARA is Vocalign from Synchro Arts.

Seems like everyone BUT Avid is in the list. The nice feature with ARA is you no longer have to import an audio track in real time, but just insert Melodyne on a track and, boom, it all there. This would be a real time saver, especially if you wanted to look at several tracks at once using Melodyne Studio such as with vocal comping.

Be nice if Avid would get on board with this, too.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Melodyne ARA

Not sure what the issue is here, egos at AVID, incompatibility with their software development platform or what.

I definitely use Melodyne significantly less inside of ProTools than I did when I was working in other ARA supported platforms. Sometimes it’s just not worth the hassle.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:26 PM

In recent webinar, Avid did say that they plan to support ARA, but couldn't give a time frame.

So, I guess it's in the works, but who knows how long it will be before we see it.

System Details
Old 05-08-2020, 03:22 PM

Indeed^^^meanwhile, the trick of track commit, do nothing to the source track and delete the commit track works decent enough for those in a hurry Do I want ARA? You bet. Can I get things done without it? Yep

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave