Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2020, 01:00 PM

Default PT 2020.5 install on 5,1, Native card not found

After PT 2020.5 install on 5,1 (Westmere mid 2010) my native card is not found after opening Pro Tools. Other playback engine options available but not my HD Native card.

This install was done on a new drive with fresh High Sierra 10.13.6 install, I installed the new driver first than the PT software, after the Native card was not recognized I uninstalled PT and the Driver (using the driver uninstall app). Tried again same thing. I actually performed the app trash /driver uninstall /reinstall driver / reinstall PT three times before giving up.

I then rebooted with my old drive running pt 2019 everything worked 100%

For clarification High Sierra with 2020.5 is the startup drive.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Stevo499; 06-01-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:54 PM

Default Re: PT 2020.5 install on 5,1, Native card not found

Hi, welcome to the community.

Did you also install/update HD Driver?
Old 06-01-2020, 03:28 PM

This install was done on a new drive with fresh High Sierra 10.13.6 install, I installed the new driver first than the PT software, after the Native card was not recognized I uninstalled PT and the Driver (using the driver uninstall app). Tried again same thing. I actually performed the app trash /driver uninstall /reinstall driver / reinstall PT three times before giving up.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

Did you also install/update HD Driver?

Old 06-01-2020, 04:03 PM

There is a KB article about similar problems. Have you tried that? -- do this first https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...h-Sierra-10-13

The above is just a work around for problems when general security settings are app store only and you missing the installation security alert when installing the driver. Likely it appeared behind another window and auto-dismissed.

Still a problem? Does the card show up at all in the System Information utility? (whether seen as a Avid card or some unclear device).

What do the following commands give in Terminal?

$ ls -ld /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext
$ kextstat | grep digidesign
$ kextstat | grep avid

Copy and paste all the above output here including any exact error messages.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-01-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:21 PM

Zapping PRAM can often sort out Pro Tools cards that aren't immediately recognised.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is a KB article about similar problems. Have you tried that? -- do this first https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...h-Sierra-10-13

The above is just a work around for problems when general security settings are app store only and you missing the installation security alert when installing the driver. Likely it appeared behind another window and auto-dismissed.

Still a problem? Does the card show up at all in the System Information utility? (whether seen as a Avid card or some unclear device).

What do the following commands give in Terminal?

$ ls -ld /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext
$ kextstat | grep digidesign
$ kextstat | grep avid

Copy and paste all the above output here including any exact error messages.

RE: Avid Article Terminal came back with this;
/Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
GIMMETHAR12Core:~ gto$

I went to my security & privacy prefs and allowed "App Store and Identified developers to load" -Nothing loaded

re: $ ls -ld /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext
Answer - -bash: $: command not found

re: $ kextstat | grep digidesign

re: $ kextstat | grep avid
answer - -bash: $: command not found

Also my card does show in slot #2 as it has for the last 10 years

When installing the driver I purposely closed all windows, except the active window which I moved to the bottom of my second monitor to keep clear for security prompts which never appeared.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-01-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Zapping PRAM can often sort out Pro Tools cards that aren't immediately recognised.
Thanks for the info unfortunately zapping the PRAM did not solve the problem
Old 06-01-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo499 View Post
RE: Avid Article Terminal came back with this;
/Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
GIMMETHAR12Core:~ gto$

I went to my security & privacy prefs and allowed "App Store and Identified developers to load" -Nothing loaded

re: $ ls -ld /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext

re: $ kextstat | grep digidesign

re: $ kextstat | grep avid
answer - -bash: $: command not found

Also my card does show in slot #2 as it has for the last 10 years

When installing the driver I purposely closed all windows, except the active window which I moved to the bottom of my second monitor to keep clear for security prompts which never appeared.

Thanks for your help!

Uh OK "$ " in these things represents the shell prompt, you don't type that part.

But the errors sure looks like it's related to security permissions.

First check the following

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow apps downloaded from

[x] App store and identified developers.

I'm not even sure you need that, but it won't hurt.

---

Then when the installer tries to install you should see a security pop-up. Even if you don't after the installer runs look at Security & Privacy > General for the "System Software from.... was blocked from loading" similar to the screenshot shown here: https://developer.apple.com/library/...59/_index.html. As noted there, that message and option to allow it disappears after 30 minutes.

All this mess could be handled a lot better by Avid's installer.

This stuff is almost certain to be the problem, so just root around in the security settings until you find that message and accept it. The issue was triggered by the new install of High Sierra, in upgrades macOS just automatically accepts kexts that have been previously installed. But again, the Avid driver installer should be making all this much easy.

I'm not able to easily to reproduce this on my system, once Avid is accepted a a developer as it has been on my Mac, all later installs just work, and the hassle to undo that is too much.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-01-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Uh OK "$ " in these things represents the shell prompt, you don't type that part.

But the errors sure looks like it's related to security permissions.

First check the following

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow apps downloaded from

[x] App store and identified developers.

I'm not even sure you need that, but it won't hurt.

---

Then when the installer tries to install you should see a security pop-up. Even if you don't after the installer runs look at Security & Privacy > General for the "System Software from.... was blocked from loading" similar to the screenshot shown here: https://developer.apple.com/library/...59/_index.html. As noted there, that message and option to allow it disappears after 30 minutes.

All this mess could be handled a lot better by Avid's installer.

This stuff is almost certain to be the problem, so just root around in the security settings until you find that message and accept it. The issue was triggered by the new install of High Sierra, in upgrades macOS just automatically accepts kexts that have been previously installed. But again, the Avid driver installer should be making all this much easy.

I'm not able to easily to reproduce this on my system, once Avid is accepted a a developer as it has been on my Mac, all later installs just work, and the hassle to undo that is too much.
Hey Darryl,

Thank you for the help I really appreciate it.

I've had mild success, the prompt in the "security & privacy" preference has always been there telling me that software failed to load, the "allow" button is hi-lited I unlock the preferences click on the allow button and nothing would happen it would stay lit up blue. I've done this about 6 times, (delete extension using the uninstaller, restart, install extension again, go to the "security and privacy pane, click on "allow" button several times)

This last time I thought to turn off my second monitor, and Voila! when I went to the "security & privacy" pane I clicked on the "allow" button and another window popped up with a list of key extensions that had not loaded, I checked the box next to Avid and restart the Mac, ready to pop the cork.

Unfortunately after several minutes of progress bar during restart the computer hung! I rebooted on another drive with High Sierra OS ran disk utility first aid and tried to restart again the computer hung again and that is where I'm at, at 2AM

You'd think Avid would be able to write a patch on an OS thats two generations back ! I may just wait on this for a few months till 2020.18 comes out and in the meantime go back to 2019 I've been unproductive for four days. Thanks again Darryl !! If I get anywhere I'll let you know.

Last edited by Stevo499; 06-02-2020 at 02:32 AM.