Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 11:10 AM

Default volume trim

Hi Everyone
Is it possible to select a region if youre in vol disp mode and use the nudge buttons (+&- keypad). to nudge the volume of that region up and down? if anyone from Digidesign is listening maybe you could have Db section in the nudge menu.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Re: volume trim

i think we will see clip based volume automation like you're describing in PT soon. Nuendo/Cubase have it and DP5 just added it. post guys seem to like it a lot.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:20 PM

>> think we will see clip based volume automation like you're describing in PT soon

We sort-of have it now... since the trim tool while in volume automation will make new breakpoints constrained to the region (as longs as there are no breakpoints within the region) -- hold down command for fine-resolution... I do this all the time...

Is this not what you guys are after?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
[…] since the trim tool while in volume automation will make new breakpoints constrained to the region […] I do this all the time...
Jeremy,

I always found the behavior you describe less-than-optimal because it creates an instantaneous level change at both ends, which is a potential source of clicks and pops. How do you deal with that?

I wish there were a preference added which allows the user to specify a minimum ramp time for automation*, even when drawn manually (the latter aspect could be a sub-option). It sure would speed things up considerably.

* Just submitted to the Feature Request box.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 04-24-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I always found the behavior you describe less-than-optimal because it creates an instantaneous level change at both ends, which is a potential source of clicks and pops. How do you deal with that?
if the region is by itself, never an issue. of course, "d" and "g" are your friends.... oh, forgot to mention, the way to do this is to put breakpoints before and after the region, so that the new breakpoints created don't mess up what came before or after. not ideal, but it works.

I like the idea of a non-destructive, independent of volume automation "region level" -- for example, when assembling a comp, one region needs to match another, so my technique now is to audiosuite>gain -- but that's destructive (and always guessing). How great would it be to trim a region while preserrving the volume ride??? !!!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:25 PM

Hi....

I know this problem too. For vocal comps with different takes and volumes etc. I do use the trim plug-in at the beginning of the plug-in chain to bring up low volumes or bring down breathing without affecting the volume ride. And I found it best for the compressor after to not have too different levels...

Hope that helps...

best

Hanz Marathon
Old 04-25-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
if the region is by itself, never an issue. of course, "d" and "g" are your friends.... oh, forgot to mention, the way to do this is to put breakpoints before and after the region, so that the new breakpoints created don't mess up what came before or after. not ideal, but it works.
Yes, that’s exactly what I do — which is a colossal waste of time, as well as a pain in the… wrist.

Furthermore, what drives me batty the most, is that, in order to trim two break-points (without selecting them) it’s required that they be at exactly the same level. If they’re not, the whole friggin’ thing gets trimmed, anchored by its outer-most break-points. There’s really no reason for this.

If anything, the automation trim tool behavior is completely backwards from what it ought to be for maximum efficiency.

In the course of an editing/mixing session, how often does one need to trim an entire automation playlist (from beginning to end)? By far, fewer times than the need to trim smaller areas within that curve.

I wish the automation trim tool would behave like this:

1) (NEW) Placing the trim tool between any two break-point, allows those two points to be trimmed, regardless of their relative level. Use of the Option key while trimming remains the method to defeat the creation of new anchor points. Also, the zoom level must be detailed enough to “fit“ the trim cursor between the points.

2) (NEW) If the zoom level is too coarse, nothing happens when trying to trim without having selected an area.

3) (AS IS) Selecting an area on the automation curve makes this subject to trimming.

4) (NEW) To trim an entire curve (beginning to end), it must be selected in its entirety.

What do you think?

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 04-25-2006, 04:35 AM

Quote:
>> think we will see clip based volume automation like you're describing in PT soon

We sort-of have it now... since the trim tool while in volume automation will make new breakpoints constrained to the region (as longs as there are no breakpoints within the region) -- hold down command for fine-resolution... I do this all the time...

Is this not what you guys are after?
no. having the ability to level out regions with non destructive clip based volumes (having their waveforms update to reflect it would nice, giving visual confirmation that it's even) btu still being able to turn the whole track up and down without messing with automation modes etc would be very cool.

andre,
enable autofades in the prefs and you'll never get pops again when doing volume auto by selecting regions and trimming. i do this all the time.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:39 AM

NOT AUTOMATION!!!!!

HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AUTOMATION!!!

it also has nothing to do with automation...works like this: you select a region, three handles appear, one on each uppermost corner, and one on the top in the middle...left and right handles are grabbable for fades (much like the square fade tool, but it doesn't draw new fade region over the existing region)...the top middle handle is an over all trim for that region...

it'd be sweet if the digi "feature request fellowship" had a copy of nuendo in their lair...there are just a couple of things that are just REALLY, REALLY intuitive and just make sense within nuendo...and if added to PT would just make the world champion undisputable...

detroikruk
Old 04-25-2006, 10:25 AM

I like Digital Performer's way the best. You have lines and points just like PT, but after you select them, you type a key command which brings up a dialog box, whereupon you type a number (or negative number) for how many dB you want to go up and down. Hit return, and you're done. None of this endless mousing around. Want to go down 2.7 dB, just type that number (-2.7) and you're done. Multiple tracks?, just drag, no need to make a group, or turn a group back on. I can do ten moves in the time it takes you to do two. It's lightning fast, and years ahead of the PT user-interface in that regard. That, plus the fact that you didn't even need to select the I-beam in the first place, as it's always available. Want to zoom in, just hold down the option key, no need to make a trip to the tool bar or hunt and peck for f-keys. Someone at Digi should spend a day with DP doing audio editing. Really. The Smart Tool is Neanderthal cave painting by comparison.

I use both all day long, and have no axe to grind (I own two HD systems). This is not meant to be a daw slugfest. Just pointing out how utterly antiquated PT audio editing is, from the user-interface standpoint.