Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-25-2016, 12:19 PM
huzzam huzzam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Athens / İstanbul / Oakland
Posts: 361
Default can't renew support plan (expiring today)

hi all--

i'm unable to renew my annual upgrade plan via the Avid site. in my account, i clicked "renew support" & added "upgrade plan for pro tools" (& not "plug-ins and support plan for pro tools") to my cart, but then am told "You currently have an incompatible product in your cart. Please either proceed with checkout or remove that item from the cart." Looking in my cart, i have the item listed, but with a cost of "undefined." Have others had success renewing through the Avid site?

i see it's also available through sweetwater. have others had success with this route?

UPDATE: managed to get it added to my cart (by using a Safari Private Browsing session, for some reason). Now am unable to complete my order through PayPal. I go through the steps on the Paypal site, but am returned to the "Terms & Conditions" page of the checkout process. Stuck in a loop.

Jeez Avid... I'm trying really hard to give you $99...

thanks
~peter in athens
__________________
my (long-term) travel system
~ Macbook Air 11" / 2gHz dual i7 / 256GB ssd / PT12.5.2 / McDSP+SoundToys / Apogee Duet ~
whole studio (+3 mics) weighs 7 lbs & mixes 24 tracks without a hiccup!

Last edited by huzzam; 12-25-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-25-2016, 01:46 PM
ChuckS ChuckS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,108
Default Re: can't renew support plan (expiring today)

There's a 30 grace period, so if you continue to have difficulties you'll still be able to purchase after the holiday.
__________________
PT 2018.12 DP 9.51 VEP 6.x Komplete Audio6 HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win10 (x64 1809)
PT 2018.12 DP 9.51 VEP 6.x 828mkII ADA8200 MTP-AV 2011 Mac Mini i7 Quad High Sierra.6 (end of the OS road for the 2011 Mini)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-25-2016, 02:18 PM
huzzam huzzam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Athens / İstanbul / Oakland
Posts: 361
Default Re: can't renew support plan (expiring today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
There's a 30 grace period, so if you continue to have difficulties you'll still be able to purchase after the holiday.
ah very good to know, thank you... i can relax for the rest of christmas now :)
__________________
my (long-term) travel system
~ Macbook Air 11" / 2gHz dual i7 / 256GB ssd / PT12.5.2 / McDSP+SoundToys / Apogee Duet ~
whole studio (+3 mics) weighs 7 lbs & mixes 24 tracks without a hiccup!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-26-2016, 01:21 PM
huzzam huzzam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Athens / İstanbul / Oakland
Posts: 361
Default Re: can't renew support plan (expiring today)

well, after struggling and failing to renew my plan on the Avid site, i realized that the main thing i want from PT 12.7.1 is for the real fullscreen mode to return. so on a lark i just reverted 12.7 back to 12.5.2 (when it last worked), and lo-and-behold, i don't see any need to update anymore. 12.6's Clip Effects (HD only) and 12.7's Session versions (cloud only) do literally nothing for me. (though changing fade shapes with a keyboard shortcut, that i coulda got with... but alas...)

so Avid just lost a sale, due to bad site coding and prioritizing dubious features over fixing bugs...
__________________
my (long-term) travel system
~ Macbook Air 11" / 2gHz dual i7 / 256GB ssd / PT12.5.2 / McDSP+SoundToys / Apogee Duet ~
whole studio (+3 mics) weighs 7 lbs & mixes 24 tracks without a hiccup!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Top Jimmy's Avatar
Top Jimmy Top Jimmy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 4,920
Default Re: can't renew support plan (expiring today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
well, after struggling and failing to renew my plan on the Avid site, i realized that the main thing i want from PT 12.7.1 is for the real fullscreen mode to return. so on a lark i just reverted 12.7 back to 12.5.2 (when it last worked), and lo-and-behold, i don't see any need to update anymore. 12.6's Clip Effects (HD only) and 12.7's Session versions (cloud only) do literally nothing for me. (though changing fade shapes with a keyboard shortcut, that i coulda got with... but alas...)



so Avid just lost a sale, due to bad site coding and prioritizing dubious features over fixing bugs...


So long as you're aware of the cost of allowing the 30 day grace period to pass then that is a fair decision. Allow the 30 days grace to pass and it becomes $299 to get back on the upgrade plan. That means no new OS compatibility etc until you're back on the plan. Not a problem if you're not planning to make any changes for the next three years.

Just want to be sure you're making an informed decision.
__________________
James Cadwallader

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Sierra 10.12.6.

Pro Tools HD 2018.12, Focusrite Red 8Pre, Mbox 3 (Mac)
Pro Tools 11.3.2, Mbox2 (Win 7)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-26-2016, 05:58 PM
huzzam huzzam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Athens / İstanbul / Oakland
Posts: 361
Default Re: can't renew support plan (expiring today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
So long as you're aware of the cost of allowing the 30 day grace period to pass then that is a fair decision. Allow the 30 days grace to pass and it becomes $299 to get back on the upgrade plan. That means no new OS compatibility etc until you're back on the plan. Not a problem if you're not planning to make any changes for the next three years.

Just want to be sure you're making an informed decision.
thank you, yes, i'm informed. Honestly, i just feel taken hostage by this licensing scheme. I wish i could just plunk down my $99 when i felt there was a reason to upgrade, rather than this speculation. Like when i decided to upgrade to PT8le (modern design, better midi), PT9 (use other audio hardware!), PT10 (a raft of small improvements), PT11 (offline bounce!), it was because i saw the value of what i was paying for. Now the main value of paying my $99 is so i won't have to instead pay $299 later, if i *happen* to need some as-yet-undetermined new feature/fix.

That's buying insurance, not a product.

Yes, PT12 has some great stuff — track freeze/commit/bounce being foremost for me — that was ALL released BEFORE i bought my upgrade plan LAST year. THAT's what I bought last December 26 with my Upgrade Plan.

So what do we hope to get in our upcoming updates?

point 1: Track freeze/commit was basically catch up to other DAWs, though Avid did them one better I'd say. I can't think of any other feature from another DAW that is lacking at this point, save for a better MIDI engine. so nothing here.

point 2: And already, we all stay way behind on OS upgrades, right? (I see you're using Mavericks!) So i'm not worried about OS compatibility upgrades. Bug fixes are nice, but each new version breaks something else (where's my fullscreen mode???) so it's a bit of a wash.

So (point 3) that leaves *hope of innovation* as the motivation for future upgrades.

But in the realm of innovation, Avid isn't demonstrating any vision that seems to lead anywhere. Cloud collaboration (with severely limited free storage, so we can't even properly try it), (broken) Application Manager, some free loops (?!), blue playlists & overlap shadows & added keyboard shortcuts... these are all a) distractions or b) minor usability tweaks. If this stuff is where PT is headed, I don't find a renewed Upgrade Plan to be a compelling gamble.

Who knows, maybe i'll chicken out and pay the $99 in the next 28 days. But it tastes all wrong, and i know i'll feel like a sucker if i do...

anyway, thanks Jimmy for the info, none of this is directed at you of course :) just got me thinking "out loud."

~peter in athens
__________________
my (long-term) travel system
~ Macbook Air 11" / 2gHz dual i7 / 256GB ssd / PT12.5.2 / McDSP+SoundToys / Apogee Duet ~
whole studio (+3 mics) weighs 7 lbs & mixes 24 tracks without a hiccup!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Extreme Mixing Extreme Mixing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Van Nuys, CA. USA
Posts: 1,314
Default Re: can't renew support plan (expiring today)

All this grief and frustration and talk of being held hostage for $99? That's about $8 a month. Seems like you're the one who's trying to hold Avid hostage over your $99! I don't think it's going to work. In days gone by, a Digilink cable was more than that! Probably still is!!! I just don't see all the blood shed, especially among those with only plain vanilla copies of the software. And what about this:

my (long-term) travel system
~ Macbook Air 11" / 2gHz dual i7 / 256GB ssd / PT12 / McDSP / Apogee Duet ~
whole studio (+3 mics) weighs 7 lbs & mixes 24 tracks without a hiccup!

That's a lot of power to keep going for $99 a year!!!

So which is it? In awe of your your power, or afraid to spend $99 on the chance that there will be some new feature that you like? For me Commit and Freeze were well worth the money last year. I'm happy with what I'm getting for my price of upgrades. I think the upgrade from 9 to 10 may have been $799!!! Basically I got Clip gain. And a path to the future.

$399 is not so bad I think. $99 is a steal. But maybe you're not working enough to justify the expense. That's for you to decide.

Steve
__________________
Steve Shepherd
Extreme Mixing
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-27-2016, 05:37 AM
huzzam huzzam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Athens / İstanbul / Oakland
Posts: 361
Default Re: can't renew support plan (expiring today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
All this grief and frustration and talk of being held hostage for $99? That's about $8 a month. Seems like you're the one who's trying to hold Avid hostage over your $99! I don't think it's going to work. In days gone by, a Digilink cable was more than that! Probably still is!!! I just don't see all the blood shed, especially among those with only plain vanilla copies of the software. And what about this:

my (long-term) travel system
~ Macbook Air 11" / 2gHz dual i7 / 256GB ssd / PT12 / McDSP / Apogee Duet ~
whole studio (+3 mics) weighs 7 lbs & mixes 24 tracks without a hiccup!

That's a lot of power to keep going for $99 a year!!!

So which is it? In awe of your your power, or afraid to spend $99 on the chance that there will be some new feature that you like? For me Commit and Freeze were well worth the money last year. I'm happy with what I'm getting for my price of upgrades. I think the upgrade from 9 to 10 may have been $799!!! Basically I got Clip gain. And a path to the future.

$399 is not so bad I think. $99 is a steal. But maybe you're not working enough to justify the expense. That's for you to decide.

Steve
I will refrain from taking your criticism personally, and simply point out that not everyone who uses (and pays for) PT lives in the US where $99 is a small amount of money. So we have to choose more carefully. Additionally, yes some of us are not "working," in the sense of making money off PT, though we are still trying to use our systems to their full potential.

Also, regarding my sig, the "without a hiccup" phrase no longer applies, given all the strange errors we got this year. That applied to PT11.3.1. I just haven't updated my sig.

So perhaps you're seeing why I'm reluctant; last year's update brought less stability along with a raft of useless features (adding complexity and instability) and a couple of useful ones.

~peter in athens
__________________
my (long-term) travel system
~ Macbook Air 11" / 2gHz dual i7 / 256GB ssd / PT12.5.2 / McDSP+SoundToys / Apogee Duet ~
whole studio (+3 mics) weighs 7 lbs & mixes 24 tracks without a hiccup!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renewed HD plan, but Pro Plug-ins expiring anyway? Neale Eckstein Pro Tools 12 5 11-05-2016 03:21 PM
Q:What I will lose if don't renew the annual Upgrade and Support Plan? akhafaji Pro Tools 12 22 10-22-2016 03:53 PM
How do i renew my support plan? metalmixer Licensing & Accounts 1 10-05-2016 10:03 AM
Email warns Upgrade Plan has expired or is expiring soon when it isn't KV626 Licensing & Accounts 39 06-22-2016 08:34 AM
Support and Upgrade Plan Renew Roulette Records Pro Tools 12 1 04-18-2016 04:04 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com