Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-03-2016, 05:42 AM

Default Pro Tools 10.3.10 Updated not supported by El Captain OS

Pro Tools 10.3.10 Updated not supported by El Captain OS

Hi, updated to El Captain as my Mc keeps crashing when updating the in update version of All the lions.

El Captain is a lot more stable but I need o update Pro Tools, in suggestions as to which version I can use without having to buy another update as I have updated all the way to 10 already?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2016, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10.3.10 Updated not supported by El Captain OS

If you are needing to upgrade to El Crapitan to get a stable system something is likely badly messed up on your computer. Hopefully you did a full clean install of El Crapitan not an insitu upgrade. Did you try first doing a full clean install/recovery of the OS your system was already running?

You need to purchase a Pro Tools 12 upgrade or reinstall a prior OS X version. You have to think about this stuff before making changes.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:02 AM

Why are we seemingly spammed by new joiners to the forum?
"Join Date June 2016".....
Maybe a mediatory read and test page to sift through the non-reading public.

Look Down... Help us help you.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:27 AM

10.3 is theoretically not supported by El Capitan, and can't be installed in the normal way due to an os version anomaly. However, I am successfully running 10.3 under El Capitan - simply got it on to my El Capitan system by doing a Time Machine restore of my old Mountain Lion system into my new El Capitan machine. Protools 10 came across and works with some very minor bugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2016, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_purcell View Post
I am successfully running 10.3 under El Capitan - simply got it on to my El Capitan system by doing a Time Machine restore of my old Mountain Lion system into my new El Capitan machine. Protools 10 came across and works with some very minor bugs.
Philip, if you have a sec?
That's PT vanilla and not PT HD? Right?
Are you using the Core audio driver?
thanx
Old 06-05-2016, 05:49 AM

PT vanilla with Complete Production Toolkit. Not sure about core audio driver - would have to check but sounds familiar. It's been a while since I installed it. The only bug I can find is insert menus don't display until you run the cursor over them.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
PT vanilla with Complete Production Toolkit. Not sure about core audio driver - would have to check but sounds familiar. It's been a while since I installed it. The only bug I can find is insert menus don't display until you run the cursor over them.
Thanx Philip, appreciate it. I assume you are then not using avid hardware?
As for the menus. We all see the same bug on PT HD with Yosemite too.
That's workaroundable for a while at least Some have reported they work if you use a lesser desktop resolution in come cases.
As for HD, I don't think there is a working Core audio driver for the old Blue I/O hardware. That's the dead end as it stands for HD users wanting to go to El Capitan.
Not vital at all for me, but it does offer some good things.
Ah well. thanx again
Old 06-05-2016, 06:15 AM

I'm just using an M-Box. CPTK gives essentially HD functionality, but they discontinued it with 11/12. That's why I am keen to stay with 10. I would have to buy 12 HD to get the same features.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I'm just using an M-Box. CPTK gives essentially HD functionality, but they discontinued it with 11/12. That's why I am keen to stay with 10. I would have to buy 12 HD to get the same features.

It's either but PT12 or downgrade if possible your OSX install. Should have really paid attention to compatibility documents and the many people here who post about trying to run PT10 on ElCrapitan or even Yosemite and are having issues. You have no one to blame but yourself and won't get pity from people here.

Sorry but them's the breaks, kid.

QAPLA!
Old 06-05-2016, 04:13 PM

I think you misunderstood my comment musicman691. I was just making the point that, despite what AVID say, PT10 is compatible with Yosemite/El Capitan. As I don't want to spend the big $ to get HD for my home setup, PT10 with CPTK running under El Capitan is a great solution. There are no serious compatibility issues that I have found. I am talking post-production. I've no idea if this works for music production.

The other important point is that PT12 vanilla is useless for post, since it lacks a lot of the really powerful automation and editing functions. PT10 with CPTK has all of those, so is more useful to me than PT12 vanilla.

Last edited by philip_purcell; 06-05-2016 at 04:33 PM.