Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-02-2009, 02:49 PM

Default PT8 SYNC HD firmware update issue

Hello. I did a search, but couldn't find my answer...

I have recently done a couple PT8 upgrades around the studio to the various Mac/ProTools systems we have here. All HD TDM, PCIe.... I've had no problems with any of the other systems. With the PT8 update, I've needed to (like most others) update my firmware for the Sync HD.

I have checked all cables, power cycled the sync HD with the "set" button, etc etc. When I launched Pro Tools 8 initially it warned my of the update, so I know it has *some* form of communication established.

but all times I've tried to do the update via DigiUtility ... exactly how it states, it always tells me:

"Firmware update aborted: couldn't establish communications with the SYNC. Please power cycle it while holding down the "Set" key"

system:

OSX 10.5.7
4 x 2.25 GHz PowerPC G5
4GB Ram
ProTools 8cs3

any ideas?????

thanks in advance....
Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Default Re: PT8 SYNC HD firmware update issue

Check out this post...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=241134
Old 07-03-2009, 07:10 AM

I've also seen situations where the HD core card didn't show up as being in the first available slot when you use DigiTest. I once spent 20 minutes trying to update the firmware - then noticed the popup selector in DigiTest that lets you tell it which one is the Core card (and of course, that's what Sync I/O is attached to). Set it, and it was fine.

Not sure if that's your problem, but I figured, what the heck...

-Danny
(the comments above do not represent the opinion of Avid as I haven't worked there since '08!)
Old 07-03-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThelin View Post
I have checked all cables,
Is this the same serial cable that was working before? If it is a new one, then do a search for serial+cable and you will find some answers. All serial cables are not created equal. There was a post in the last couple of weeks addressing this. SB
Old 07-03-2009, 09:05 AM

thanks guys.

well. still having the problem.

It's the same serial cable that was used previously. I've also tried other cables from machines where the firmware update worked properly.

I have selected the proper drop down choice as the "Core." Also tried other ones as well for the hell of it. to no avail.

still nadda.....