Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-15-2011, 01:45 AM

Default Waveform problem!!!

This is something that happens quite frequently to me. I'll give an example.

Few days back I was tracking a vocal. The singer sang in a part and when he finished I made him do another take to double that section of the vocal.
So what we have here are two vocal tracks containing the same lyrics, the same expression from the singer, recorded with the same mic and preamp at the same setting. Two vocal tracks, as identical as possible.

The waveform of the first track looks normal but the waveform of the other track looks like I had clicked on the "audio zoom in" button, in the left corner of the edit window, as drastically as possible. All I see there is a block of waveform that fills the track just like when everything is clipping.

But it isn't clipping. Both tracks sound identical. No difference in level or coloration in any way. And when I zoom out the waveform with the audio zoom the the bugged track look all right but the waveform of all the tracks has just disappeared.

So the problem seem to be visual. Problem for pro tools write the waveform. It writes the waveform too big in one track but not the other. Some kind of a bug.

So my question is: Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this and if not is it possible to zoom in and out of the waveform in just one track or region at a time with the "audio zoom in/out" feature i mentioned earlier?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Waveform problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82gstef View Post
This is something that happens quite frequently to me. I'll give an example.

Few days back I was tracking a vocal. The singer sang in a part and when he finished I made him do another take to double that section of the vocal.
So what we have here are two vocal tracks containing the same lyrics, the same expression from the singer, recorded with the same mic and preamp at the same setting. Two vocal tracks, as identical as possible.

The waveform of the first track looks normal but the waveform of the other track looks like I had clicked on the "audio zoom in" button, in the left corner of the edit window, as drastically as possible. All I see there is a block of waveform that fills the track just like when everything is clipping.

But it isn't clipping. Both tracks sound identical. No difference in level or coloration in any way. And when I zoom out the waveform with the audio zoom the the bugged track look all right but the waveform of all the tracks has just disappeared.

So the problem seem to be visual. Problem for pro tools write the waveform. It writes the waveform too big in one track but not the other. Some kind of a bug.

So my question is: Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this and if not is it possible to zoom in and out of the waveform in just one track or region at a time with the "audio zoom in/out" feature i mentioned earlier?
Pro Tools ref guide is your friend.

Pg. 533:
To zoom all audio vertically to show the default waveform height:
Press Control+Alt+Start+[ (Windows) or Command+Option+Control+[ (Mac).

For changing the vertical height on one track only, change to the magnifying glass and hold control. Click in the track you want to change and drag up or down. (side to side for horizontal without changing vertical size).
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Waveform problem!!!

Thank you very much