Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 PM

Default Where'd my plugin automation go?!

I must have done something stupid that I can't figure out how to undo. When I "claw-click" the plugin parameters to automation enable them (cntrl-option-command) they turn green (automation enabled). Then normally I put the track in "touch" and the plugin parameter turns red and is ready to automate - but now they don't turn red and I can no longer ride the automation from the plugin. I can only draw it in manually on the track.

What happened?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Where'd my plugin automation go?!

Window menu > Automation. Check to see that plug-in automation is write enabled.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-14-2010, 12:06 AM

Nah, that's not it. Plugin automation reads just fine - just can't record it. It's as if "touch mode" ain't workin'. I had major "curtain of death" crashes end-of-day yesterday, and so reinstalled Protools. Will report back...
Old 06-14-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
Nah, that's not it. Plugin automation reads just fine - just can't record it. It's as if "touch mode" ain't workin'. I had major "curtain of death" crashes end-of-day yesterday, and so reinstalled Protools. Will report back...
Maybe you got preview on ? You can check this in the automation window.
...just a thought...
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Nah, that's not it. Plugin automation reads just fine - just can't record it.
All automation reads just fine even if nothing is write-enabled.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
All automation reads just fine even if nothing is write-enabled.
Not sure what you mean... Enabling a plugin parameter for automation makes the parameter's automation lane show up in the track (as normal). Automation that I draw into that lane is transfered to the plugin just fine. Normally when I put the track in "touch", the enabled parameters turn red and I can write the automation from the plugin. No longer the case

Quote:
Maybe you got preview on ? You can check this in the automation window.
...just a thought...
I'll have to check that tomorrow. I never use that window - it's always just "worked" since day 1

Reinstalling Protools (after major crash) didn't change anything - nor did it solve the crash problem with this 1 session.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 PM

Scott, check the automation window that I first mentioned. Your issue sounds exactly like what happens when plug-in automation is not write enabled in the automation window. This setting has nothing to do with reading or editing automation, just writing it.

Typically, you use the write enable setting in the automation window when you want to write one type of automation data without afffecting any other automation that you've already written.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 06-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean...
You said that it couldn't be that parameters weren't write-enabled since they read just fine. Well, they don't have to be write-enabled for existing automation to be read correctly.

Quote:
Enabling a plugin parameter for automation makes the parameter's automation lane show up in the track (as normal).
Yes, you can auto-enable plugin parameters even if the plugin isn't write-enabled in the automation window.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 PM

Thanks - will check when I'm at the studio today. I never look at the automation window, as I don't have a controller and everything just "worked as it should" up until now. Will report back...
Old 06-14-2010, 10:57 PM

I think this is one of those settings that can back-door you because it comes along with sessions from other people, just like MIDI offsets and I/O setup.