Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Reconform in Pro Tools

Bumping again.

Some of us use conform on every project now. It's very difficult and fraught with issues. I'm grateful to Justin for making the most stable tool to-date for executing the actual conform. (Bravo!)

But indeed. We're now in a world in which this is happening All. The. Time.

Take the survey, folks -

-jeremiah
Old 06-13-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cargo Cult View Post
apparently not...
It is to post people, not music.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:43 AM

I've got a pretty myopic view of the web, but just curious if this survey is being discussed outside of this thread on the DUC?

Are there links to it on the relevant yahoo, Linkdin etc groups, reddit, gearslutz etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 08:43 AM

Justin published the results some time ago...

http://thecargocult.nz/press/Reconfo...ts3_Public.pdf

Hope AVID looks at them.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 AM

I doubt very much that this survey is being discussed anywhere but here and among post prod audio professionals who work on large-scale projects. My music buds, even those who are dab hands with PT and other computer technology look at me like I'm speaking Urdu when I bring this topic up. Not part of their world, and most of them are very happy using non-HD PT (all their projects are stereo music). I was pretty impressed that 16% of the projects in the survey had between 500 and 2000 tracks to deal with in reconforms: yes I hope Avid is listening. But I also hope they don't put CC out of business either. Those guys have been in the trenches on this biggo problem all along, when others (I'm looking at you, Avid) have been more concerned with music-centric features, so they deserve big props and respect. I also think that the prevalence of Media Composer-based shows in the survey, when in the outside world far more work overall is done on Premiere, shows that this issue is really confined to people working on the biggest and most money-consequential shows.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:50 AM

Default Reconform in Pro Tools

I asked to an avid tech what he thought about conforming and protools and he said that Avid is working to bring conforming to PT via conformalizer.
So, let's wait and see.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Justin published the results some time ago...

http://thecargocult.nz/press/Reconfo...ts3_Public.pdf

Hope AVID looks at them.

Thanks, I saw that at the time.

Initially I was a little surprised by some of the results, mostly by how few took the poll - but on reflection, less so.

I think it's representative of the reality in the trenches, and very useful data for Avid to act upon, and if they do so soon, that's great.

Otherwise, I'd hope that rather than this poll being the last word, and falling on deaf ears, it would instead generate further, wider discussion within the guilds, and beyond, to put further pressure on Avid to solve the problem, and producers / production managers to help negate the problem - but that's a whole different topic, that extends to many departments in any given production.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watagushu2013 View Post

I asked to an avid tech what he thought about conforming and protools and he said that Avid is working to bring conforming to PT via conformalizer.
So, let's wait and see.

Will be interesting to see if it will be directly integrated into PT, or instead simply act more like a ReWire client - with Avid simply cooperating directly with Justin to ensure the smoothest possible workflow.

The former sounds like a neat idea, but would probably require a buyout, and after the unceremonious axing of the Sibelius founders by Avid, may be a case of being careful what you wish for...