Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-07-2003, 09:50 AM

Default About The Allenstein Machine...

Hello everyone,

I plan to build the Allenstein Machine and I just wondered if it's noisy or not ? I think it's not because of the Volcano 9 silent but what about the power supply ? Is it possible to record acoustic guitars and voices in the same little room ?

Thanks for your and answers and special thanks to Allen for all your advices which are a great luck for a beginner in DAW word ! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2003, 10:22 AM

Default Re: About The Allenstein Machine...

I have built LOTS of systems for people over the years including non-audio setups that are used in nursing homes and small biz co-ops where noise is an issue.

I can say that the Volcano 9 using the lower manual setting is very quiet, but Zalman makes a nice alternative.

The Enermax power supplies are very quiet indeed. You can get the ones that are automatically controlled by the system or the ones with a knob on the back for manual control. No worries on the PS.

I would have to say that build quality of your case can play an often overlooked role in the noise area. If you get an empty case all you have to do is share it and see what rattles. ALL that stuff plays a part in vibrations. You can remedy a significant amount of this by using Dynamat Xtreme. Can't say enough good stuff about this. Use it VERY liberally throughout your case and it can make a huge improvement.

All that being said, before I was able to move my systems into a closet I was able to track vox, acoustic guitar, nylon guitar... all in the same room. For some added sonic benefit you can toss a moving blanket on the system while tracking. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS! You can easily overheat a system that is using low fan speeds. Do this only when critcal and absolutly necessary.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Eric
Old 04-07-2003, 10:57 AM

Here's a useful link from TechTV's Yoshi. It's a tutorial on how to build a silent PC. I think he goes a little overboard (buying a DVD burner because they play DVDs quieter than conventional DVD drives, a 520w PSU when the 420w model would suffice only to run a video card & DVD burner, etc.), but it's still very much worth a look.

Yoshi's Mods: Project YS-2

-Nick
Old 04-07-2003, 11:08 AM

The powersupply could be substituted for the Zalman 400 w power supply. It is VERY quiet. I just got mine and I absolutely love it. Or you could take a look at the Nexus 4000. Both of those power suplies are great for reducing noise.