Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2003, 02:33 PM

Default Todays Key Command Is.........

This will probably get deleted or moved but I thought It might be handy if people posted some really helpfull keyboard shortcuts for those of us who didn't have time to learn them all when we should have.

So I'll get the ball rolling with an obvious one.

"Control/Clicking" on any track in the Edit Window will scroll the Mix window along so that the track appears as first visible track on the far left (or as far left as possible).

Very usefull if you use two screens and large sessions.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Todays Key Command Is.........

Cool idea for a thread. I love key commands, couldn't work without them. And nice key command too GKB.

For me, an extremely powerful mixing tool is automating plug-ins graphically, but navigating the multistep process to enable a parameter's automation via the Plug-In Automation dialog is a real PITA, sometimes dissuading me from doing it at all. But not after I discovered this little gem. It turns automation on for a plug-in parameter and switches to the automation data display on the track in two very quick and elegant steps:
  • Turn Automation On: Control-Option-Command click on the plug-in parameter.
  • Display Automation Data: Control-Command click the plug-in parameter. (In other words, lift up middle finger and click again.)
Done. Painless. Now you are ready to graphically edit the automation.

I'd love to hear the key commands that are everyone else's favorites.

eSession | MiLaR Forum | Facebook | MySpace | MiLaR | PSN | HdL | Projects | MiLaR Workshop

Check out John Ralston "Sorry Vampire"
Old 11-28-2003, 11:27 AM

Like Charles' great tips, these aren't in any PT manual.

1. Navigate quickly without the annoying scroll bars. option-page down =edit or mix window scrolls one "page" to the right. option-page up= left.

2. Copy backwards (make a duplicate region precede a region) control-option-command and click the region
Old 11-28-2003, 11:51 AM

Maybe all know this already but...

alt-/ adds breakpoint to the automation data.

Old 11-28-2003, 01:37 PM

Shift-Option-3 = consolidate selection of audio
Old 11-28-2003, 01:49 PM

That's a great one. Like a "juicy rationalization", I couldn't get through the day without two or three good Shift-Option-3's.

(Jeff Goldblum/The Big Chill. 2nd quote.)

eSession | MiLaR Forum | Facebook | MySpace | MiLaR | PSN | HdL | Projects | MiLaR Workshop

Check out John Ralston "Sorry Vampire"
Old 11-28-2003, 09:05 PM

When naming multiple tracks hold command and hit the right arrow to tab to the next track to be named. Alot quicker then clicking on each track.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:47 PM

Some of my favorites...

Option - Command - W : closes all floating windows. Doesn't close Audiosuite plug-in windows though.

Option - F : zoom to selection (without making track larger like how the "E" key does).

Option - A : zoom to see whole session (like double clicking on the zoom tool).

Command - 1, 2, 3... : goes to a specific tab in the Preferences, I/O Setup or Peripherals page. Makes life a little easier. Also, Command - Right/Down will cycle to the next tab, and Command - Left/Up will cycle to the previous tab. (In the Hardware Setup, it's just the Left and Right arrow key to go between tabs, and Up and Down to cycle through interfaces).

Command - Return : when naming tracks goes to the next track. Makes it so you don't have to move your right hand to go to the next track.

Control - Command : over the rulers in the Edit window turns the cursor to a temporary zoom in tool, that you can drag a selection with (it can't be turned to a zoom out tool to my knowledge). Since I'm a huge fan of the Smart Tool, this means I usually never have to switch tools. It's all there.

Mac OS X / PT6 only ones

Command - ~ : cycles through open windows. Don't have to move my left hand to switch, which is efficient. This is a Mac OS X wide shortcut that works in Pro Tools.

Control - Up/Down : makes track size larger or smaller for the tracks you're clicked on. Control - Option - Up/Down does this to all tracks.

Hold Command : when in Grid mode, temporarily switches to Slip mode. This works for anything, including clicking with the selector, dragging with the grabber and trimming edges. I love this one for the unfortunate occasions I have to quantize drum tracks to the grid. No more actually switching modes.

Control - Command - alpha 1...9 : you know how you go Command - NumPad # to show/hide windows? Well, if you want the Transport bar, you only have to go Control - Command - 1 using the main number keys, same numbers as before. Doesn't really come in handy that much, but it is another way of getting what's needed without moving my right hand from the trackball/mouse.

I'm not in front of Pro Tools right now, so I'm not sure if these are all the ones I use most. If anyone knows shortcuts to switch between Beat Detective modes, and how to select Original Time Stamp in the Spot Mode dialog box, I would be beyond happy. The shortcuts that have been posted are great!
Old 11-29-2003, 02:10 AM

This is more of an operating system short cut, but one which saves time. To go up a directory when opening a session for example Command and arrow up will work. Also Command D will take you directly to the top level.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:04 AM

Command+control+(selection in time ruler) - zoom selection
Command+control+option+(click on audio track icon) - disable track
Command+option+] - verticle waveform zoom in
Command+option+[ - verticle waveform zoom out
My special commands:
Command+option+shift+B - bounce to disk
Command+option+shift+F - delete fades
Command+option+shift+N - delete selected tracks
Command+option+shift+P - scroll during playback
Command+option+shift+O - no scrolling during playback
Command+option+shift+U - show System Usage
Command+option+shift+S - Save Session Copy In...
Option+control+shift+G - AudioSuite Gain plugin
Option+control+shift+R - AS Reverse plugin
Option+control+shift+I - AS Invert plugin
Option+control+shift+V - AS VocAlign plugin
Option+control+shift+S - AS SoundReplacer plugin
` - toggle between Slip & Grid modes
Command+E (right mouse click) - separate region
Mouse scroll button - toggle between Smart Tool and TC/E tool
Mouse scroll wheel up - zoom in
Mouse scroll wheel down - zoom out