Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2004, 10:32 AM

Default ((( HUI for PT tips and tricks )))

Here it is, the "NEW" HUI for PT forum thread. Post your favorite ideas/opperations/shortcuts and general working tricks of the HUI trade as a reference for ALL! Don't worry about repeating ideas...this could become an educational thread.

If you work on TDM systems or LE systems, please specify 'cause not all opperations apply to both.

Thank you!

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 04-27-2004, 09:29 PM

Default Re: ((( HUI for PT tips and tricks )))

Great! A HUI collection of ideas.

So this is a work around for Digi CORE AUDIO not sharing apps. (not sure how the 6.4 is working). I often need to switch apps and listen to other things. I'm using on of the three monitor section inputs for the output of the stock mac audio out. Doesn't sound as good as the 002r's outs, but iTunes is happening at the same time as PT. Not a fancy trick, but sure is handy.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:46 AM

Cool idea John, kind of using the HUI as a switcher/patchbay.

Because I'm new to the HUI I might as well just ask questions for now, so feel free to respond for the rest of us.

Question: In the Status/Group section, what are the Monitor and Phase button used for? I'm in LE so it might be a TDM thing. I havn't yet been able to get those buttons to do anything. I'm presuming the phase is for flipping the phase of a track, which in LE I do by inserting a 1 band EQ on the track and using the phase reversal switch.

Question: On the keyboard commands section, what do Add/All/Clutch/Fine do and how are they activated?

Question: Can I program the F keys to do certain actions?

Question: On the edit section, what does "Capture" do?

These are my basic first questions and any enlightenment would be appreciated. As I said once I get really going with the HUI I'll post some of my findings.

A lot of people have complained about jittery faders. When I first turned on the HUI there was a little jitter on fader 4 but it didn't last long and I'm led to beleive it has to do with proper grounding and/or RF interference. I's gon now so it must like it's new home. But one work around was to ground yourself to the chasie of the HUI.....don't know if it works??

Peace, and keep 'em comming, feel free to pose questions.

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
Old 04-28-2004, 09:03 AM

Some terminology in PT has changed since the hui came out:

capture region = separate region

the add/all/clutch/fine buttons are the regular modifier buttons...shift/option/control/command (the names on the hui are a little more intuitive)
Old 04-28-2004, 10:03 AM

Capture does not equal separate. If you're speaking in pure HUI terms, I suppose it's possible that they mis-programmed that button and labeled it incorrectly, but in Pro Tools terms, Capture and Separate are different commands with different purposes. Just to be clear:

Capture region will take the selected area and create a region (which you will be prompted to name) in the regions list, leaving the selection and its parent region completely unchanged.

Separate region will do the same thing (but there's a preference to name automatically or not), except it will affect the edit in the playlist as well, making the selected area a region of its own, separate from its parent. If no area is selected (the cursor is blinking), separate region will simply make a split at the cursor's location.

I know it's off topic, just wanted to be sure everybody understood the two commands. HUI is a big mouse, so everything it does is also doable from the keyboard/mouse, except of course for the tactile faders. Have fun!!

Old 04-28-2004, 12:01 PM

Thanks Chris and Shawn, that clarifies some of the questions I had. It's really nice to have dedicated buttons for the commands in PT and although the HUI is in essence a mouse, it does make for a more Audio Production when working with a DAW.

Next question: is anyone using a Mackie Control Extender (8ch) alongside the HUI? Other than the fact that, from what I understand, the send and plugin parameters cannot be controled from the extender but Volume/Pan/ch select/rec arm/solo/mute, all should work just fine right? Does the track name show up on the display and does the extender have to be placed to the right of the HUI?

For example: (from left to right) MCex/HUI/MCex/MCex. for a total of 24 faders, assuming all the MIDI ports are in the correct order, is this a functional setup and has anyone had any problems with this setup?

Thanks.

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
Old 04-28-2004, 01:56 PM

There's a lot of information here:

HUI
Old 04-29-2004, 08:03 AM

That's a great reference A2D D2A, it gets in deeper than the HUI manual, thanks

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
Old 05-07-2004, 05:40 PM

OK just got my new console built custom and finaly got to install my HUI and Mackie Universal Extender........................HUI Rules! Hands down winner!! (in the $1000 to $2000 category)

Now for my Next question: The Mackie Control Extender has the fabulous.........or so I was told fabulous..........Penny & Gilles faders...yeeeeha??? What,? The HUI faders are so much nicer IMO. They are quiet, fast and smooth. On the other hand the P&G faders are Crude, Noisy, and somewhat slower than the HUI faders. So this begs the questions...

1) What are the original Hui faders?

2) Any tricks on making the P&G faders quiet down a little?

I have to say that I was a little concerned about spending money on fader packs, but now I'm starting to "See" my mixes again. I come from the analog world (about 5 years ago I switched to PT) and I got so used to using a mouse and keyboard that I thought it was the way to go, but after spending a half hour with 16 faders in front of me, I got the sensation I was doing something "real". Now I never thought I wasn't making good music, but there is a sensation to visualizing a mix on faders. And not 8 faders...that has always bugged me, it seems to confusing and not very intuitive, but 16 or 24 and even 32 faders is the way to go, I'm feeling excited about my next project....if only I could get the P&G faders to hush up for a second.

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3