Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 01:10 PM

Default DFHS latency

I'm currently using an external drum machine triggered from midi tracks in protools. Since I'm using an external mixer to monitor, there is no audio latency as I'm writing & rewriting stuff. Everything stays in sync regardless of buffer settings. There is a MIDI latency, but it's easily dealt with because it is constant.

If I were to switch to DFHS as a rewire instrument, playing from PT MIDI tracks that have already been recorded, would there be an audio latency? Would different audio buffer settings change this latency, and therefore timing of the drums?

I'm guessing that it should work similar to a plugin, rather than an external audio source.. In other words, if the latency were less than the HW buffer size, that it would be automatically compensated for.. just as many of the plugs do.. Is this true for Reason rewire instruments?

Thanks for any info
Old 05-01-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: DFHS latency

I'm honestly not familiar with what DFHS is, but I'm pretty sure there is little to no latency rewiring instruments. Your hardware buffer will change your MIDI latency. If you can, use the lowest buffer as possible. I believe you're right; it should be automatically compensated for. That is true for Reason rewire instruments.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 PM

Default Re: DFHS latency

Thanks for the info

DFHS - Drumkit From Hell Superior. With my current setup, I'm not getting any audio buffer size related MIDI latency on playback (monitored via external mixer). But I do get the latency if I monitor when I am recording. Will this still be true with Reason?

To try to word it differently, my main concern is the difference in latency between monitoring with an external mixer, and monitoring what I understand to be a rewire plug. In both cases, the source would be prerecorded MIDI tracks.