Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 AM

Default MBox Pro 2 Cuts Out on New iMac (Fusion Drive)

PROBLEM IS ON NEW 2013 IMAC:
- MBox Pro 2 is cutting out, meaning it will stop playing back audio after a few minutes in Logic Pro X AND Pro Tools 10
- MBox Pro 2 is running from my Thunderbolt to 800 Adapter > 400 MBox Pro 2
- MBox is connected correctly and is not blinking
- I have installed the latest drivers
- This MBox works perfectly fine on SSDs, including my 2008 iMac that runs Mavericks OS X, Logic Pro X, and Pro Tools 10 all great.
- I talked with Apple, and they believe it is a firmware issue

- This issue is on several different forums and there is no solution:

://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=347303

I run Mavericks OSX on another 2008 iMac 24" (with Pro Tools 10 and Logic Pro X) and my MBox and Digirack 002 work great.

What's the difference in the two? The fusion drive..

Is there going to be a firmware update for this issue? Avid, if you are reading this, could you please let me know if you are working with Apple on this issue?

Thank you.

MY SPECS:

Late 2013 27-Inch iMac
3.4GHz Intel Core i5
OS X 10.9 Mavericks
3TB *Fusion Drive*
16GB RAM

Late 2008 24-Inch iMac
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
OS X 10.9 Mavericks
750GB
4GB RAM

HARDWARE
MBox Pro 2
Digi 002 Rack

SOFTWARE
Logic X
Pro Tools 10
Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 PM

Default Re: MBox Pro 2 Cuts Out on New iMac (Fusion Drive)

Update:

I went into system preferences and reset my Clock Source from Intern to Word Clock back to Internal again... Seems to be working again in Logic Pro X so far... Hope this works permanently.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:03 PM

Update:

This is not a permanent solution. I have to keep changing it back and forth every 10 minutes or so...
Old 12-07-2013, 12:00 PM

Update:

Got off the phone with Apple...

If you are having issues, PLEASE send Apple a feedback request AND call Avid Support if you still have call support.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/imac.html

ALSO, here is the most informative thread I could find on this issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=75&tstart=0

Getting a new iMac with a SSD or partitioning your fusion drive may solve the issue...
Old 12-07-2013, 01:25 PM

There's a long thread on Gearslutz about these problems and they pretty much point to it mainly being an Apple problem, so they are definitely the ones to give feedback to.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:13 PM

I recenly update to Mavericks OS10.9. [bleep]I have a Digidesign MBox2 audio interface connected. [bleep]Prior to updating to 10.9 I was running 10.8 with NO problems, however as soon as I updated to 10.9 I lost use of my audio interface devices.

I have looked over all of the post out there regarding this issue and have downloaded many possible sollutions and drivers. [bleep]NONE HAVE WORKED.

I get audio from my MBox2 if I play a vido using quicktime, however no sound from either itunes, garageband or Imovie. [bleep]Yes, the imac still works fine with the internal inputs and outputs but when I try to use my audio interface it does not recognize it.

When I go to system preferenes - sound and select the Mbox2 it says it "the selected device has no output controls" the same happens on the input side. [bleep]The clock is set to internal, I used the MIDI setup in the Utilities but again, it appears as though there are no input or output controls.

The funny thing is I can play a video using quicktime and the interface works fine. [bleep] THE AVID DIGIDESIGN SITE avid.force.com is recommending not to upgrade to Mavericks, would have been nice to know this before I rendered my very much needed audio interface unusable.

I am using Digidesign firmware v1.38 and have downloaded[bleep]http:/mbox2firmwareintel_28750-2[bleep],[bleep]Mbox_2_Driver_v90_69594-2[bleep],[bleep]Mbox_1_2_0_Drivers_80535[bleep]all to no avail.

One important thing to note is the my coreaudio driver no longer.

I know there is a signal going through the Mbox2 because it does play back the quicktime videos and I can play my guitar through the interface and even get sound from the external speakers, so all hard connections are in place.

HELP!! [bleep] This is obiously a patch or update that has to be addressed by either apple or Avid. [bleep]I have noted many people making note online that their audio interfaces quit working when they updated to Mavericks. [bleep]This is not good and not just with the inteface I have, I have seen many others that no longer work.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:26 PM

Update:

10.9.2 beta brought my MBox back to life... Now works 100%...
Old 12-24-2013, 11:18 AM

aswink,

Have you tried running a Pro Tools session with the playback engine set as the Built-In Output instead of the Mbox? If so, are you successful? In OS 10.8.5, I would get CPU overload and buffer underflow errors. In 10.9.1, I don't seem to get error messages, but recording will just stop/freeze.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswink View Post
Update:

10.9.2 beta brought my MBox back to life... Now works 100%...
Negative.

Just installed the beta 10.9.2. The Mbox 2 (Digidesign) now works with Propellerhead Reason but it is still broken with NI Maschine, also can not play any streaming audio content through Chrome/Firefox and no music from Spotify.

At this rate we'll have a fully working audio interface by fall of 2014.