Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-11-2000, 03:00 AM

Default Re: URGENT: Dual Monitors on 450MHz G4 = Error -6042:\"PCI bus too busy\" U R G E N T E!

Well I am just chiming in to encourage Digi and Apple and ATI to get this worked out as I am expecting delivery of a G4 with 2 monitor cards. Currently I use a 7300 with a G3 Card and 2 monitors and two internal cheetahs and get great performance, up to 32 tracks.

Additionally I have a Bit 3 7 slot with two sample cell cards as well.

It sure seems that there are a lot of us who need this problem rectified so lets all keep speaking up and hopefully we can help urge everyone involved to find us a workable solution.

Hang in there, I know its frustrating!

Jay-J
Old 02-12-2000, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Default Re: URGENT: Dual Monitors on 450MHz G4 = Error -6042:\"PCI bus too busy\" U R G E N T E!

Obviously, if we had a bullet-proof solution to this very important problem, we would post it immediately. It is considered a top priority by both the Pro Tools Product Management and the Engineering and Test Services. We are in contact with Apple (including joint testing at their HQ and ours) as well as with every company that could potentially support a dual monitor AGP card on the mac.
Many people from other departments are also involved in testing possible solutions, from Tech Support, sales, beta test, and individuals in the company that also want a dual monitor solution on an AGP G4 for their own systems.
We take this very seriously, so no jokes about joint testing, OK?

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing

Old 02-13-2000, 12:19 AM

digi please, could you give us any answer to know how make PT 5 work in a G4 with two monitors and 64x24 bit/48 Khz. tracks?

Old 02-13-2000, 10:19 AM

Dear Digisigners!

Why not go ahead and think of a THREE MONITOR BUILT-IN VIDEO CARD????

In this case the SIX SLOT MAC will sooner be forgotten. (MANY producers stick to the old 9500 / 9600 macs because of the six slots)

All your efforts are very much apprechiated!

Greetings from Germany.

WitLi
Old 02-14-2000, 05:26 PM

On 2/8/2000 07:52 PM, Dog BBQ posted:

"....there are Users recording to the Internal ATA drives in the G4 MACs Bypassing the SCSI Card all together. One less Item on your PCI Bus! Could hold you over for a few weeks till things get worked out!!!!!!....."

Dear DogBBQ & hello everyone else:
Thanks for this possible workaround. Of course, I caught your suggestion and ran back to the studio to start my new lifestyle off the G4's internal ATA drive.

It's a clever idea but sadly, oh so terribly sadly, the truth remained that in the presence of more than 25 tracks (voices).....the PT 5 session will invariably suffer -6042 when launched across dual monitors off my G4 450MHz. It's strictly the video cards! I could even eliminate this full 13 slot chassis....and still collapse @ -6042.

The sobering reality is that, at least now, after all of the above referenced banter....Digidesign has super-officially posted this 6042 aggravant as a known issue via their "Late Breaking Technical News." Ahhhh, it really doesn't hurt so much, if you have the guys upstairs acknowleding your pain....ultimately suggesting that perhaps I was not completely nuts and inept. Is that how one spells inept?

On a humorous note: it turns out that most self-help books and infommercials will recommend that we learn to laugh at ourselves when we make mistakes. I've decided that my fellow 6042-ists would enjoy this little oversight that was just brought to my attention. I'm trying desperately to laugh.

Check it out:
According to my new phone bill that arrived today, ATI technologies (the video card manufacturer with whom I accidentally thought I'd singlehandedly find a solution for all of you) located in Ontario, is not only an International Call...... it is in fact $1/min. if you're a total jackass & accidentally signed up for the wrong Sprint Plan.
No, Obviously No, I did not find any remedy w/ ATI, in any of my 12 January phone calls, (ranging from 14 - 70 minutes each).
And YES, my subtotalled -6042 Tech Support calls w/ Apple, ATI, Digidesign, Griffin Technologies, Waves, Asanté, Imation, Seagate, ix Micro, & Bit 3, came to $488 What?

Something happened. I felt heroic and cavalier and invincible. Money was no object. I had to save my people.
Whoops.

What a complete & utter jackass right?

Love, juan
Old 02-16-2000, 06:32 AM

I seem to be missing something. I understand the G4 has a problem with dual monitors. But my G3 works fine. ( a bit of pain getting it setup but its ok now)

I am running 3 monitors, an Atto SCSI card, DC30+, 320 Meg, PT 5.0, OS 8.6, Magma 7 slot expansion cabinet and 24 Mix|plus

Just for fun as I read this thread I opened protools dragged in a 20min reel from a film we are curently working on, and opened 64 audio tracks. I dragged a bunch-o-audio files into the session randomly until I filled up 64 tracks with 10 minute long audio segments ( OMF files from the film house)
I hit play and ducked for cover. a few seconds later, having not smelled smoke and not heard any reallly bad sounds coming from my mac, i climbed up from under the console.

The film is running with no jitter or jumps, the audio is playing ( all 60+ tracks )....

am I missing something ?

just wanted to add: the mac is a G3 266 tan model. the video is on its one scsi chain ( atto chain 1 ) the audio is on both the atto 2 chain and the internal mac chain ( 0 ). I have no idea if the audio I pulled in is completely defraged or not.

[This message has been edited by georgia (edited February 16, 2000).]

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 02-16-2000, 11:58 AM

Hate to tell ya, but from the grapevine:
DONT GET RID OF THAT G3 300!
Old 02-17-2000, 07:51 PM

juan patino, I love you.

It's people like you that make this world an O.K. place to be in. But for chrissakes, mix some of your tracks down that are " lazily stretched across 3 monitors." You've got the world by the balls, my friend. I have a much smaller system and can't even burn a freakin' CD. Count your lucky stars, get on with your life - mix those bad boys down!!!!!! Even when you think it ***** , it really doesn't. I've been doing this **** for a long time, and believe me -- SHIP IT! When it doubt - SHIP IT!!!!!! The general populus will never know the difference. You are a god. Don't forget, this is better than tarring roofs. You have brightened my day beyond belief with your positive attitude. I hope you reap all the rewards coming to you. GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-18-2000, 01:29 PM

Dear jmarso:

Spectacular! Is that ok if I'm quietly praying that you're an lusty, insatiable, 22 year old, curvy, red-headed pop singer, who just moved to Manhattan from Normandy, in hopes of landing an internship at a dopey studio & eventually, after countless nights of writing and recording with a hispanic record producer, landing an unprecedented Record Deal & moving with me to our new villa in Malibu?

No, Please don't correct me if you're actually a fella. Let me live this lie. Honestly, I haven't gotten a note like that since the trip to the shore after my senior prom. Thanks!

Lastly, relax....yes, I'm successfully operating on a single monitor. Don't worry, I've forgone multiple monitors & am back to making music. Albeit a 'lil grumpy.

Alas torn away from my 3 or even 2 monitors....& ever the martyr, I've chosen to hang from my cross by swapping my single remaining 21" monitor to an old 13" Black & White monitor off the Apple IIci that the lady was using at the Dry Cleaners downstairs.

Have a great weekend. Now let's go make some hit singles!

juan
Old 02-18-2000, 08:45 PM

The answer lies in the new thread I started...REJOICE!!!

-spooky