Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-12-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Beer for anyone who can help!!!

Noone answered my other posts, so I guess a bribe is in order. However, my problem remains the same. Pro Tools will randomly freeze during playback. Playback continues, but the spinning wheel of death will not let you do anything. Must then manually restart. Nothing else running in the background. I think I've tried everything except re-installing PT. If that is what I should do, please someone say so. Even if you know nothing about PT, just knowing that someone read this thread would make me very happy.

I've got...

PT 6.2.3 OS 10.3.2 G5 Dual 2GHz 1G RAM

I've tried...

Updating all my plug-ins for Panther

Everything in Answerbase 26524 (trashing prefs etc.)

Using "highest" processor setting

Increasing CPU usage limit

trashing the waveform cache icon when it appears (does anyone know how to make it stop appearing?)

Any help is much appreciated and I'm not lying about the beer (if you live in the Boston area).

Thanks
Aidas

Old 02-12-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Beer for anyone who can help!!!

One more thing. Problem started on OWC Mercury firewire drive, but I copied the sessions onto my desktop and it still happened.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:23 PM

Hi there, I'm not in your area but will definitely have a beer if my help works!!
You should trash all prefs:
Look inside the: Library/Preferences/
for Protools prefs, DAEprefs (the hole folder) and Digisetup.
Also trash the Digidesign Databases folder on every drive you have.
Try that and post back here.... can't wait to have a beer !!!!!!
Old 02-12-2004, 04:49 PM

if you're refrencing audio files from your desktop, that means you're playing back audio from your mac drive. Not a great idea.

make sure your firewire drive is formatted in HFS+ also called Mac OS extended.

Sounds to me like you have drive issues.

When you try to play audio in a session, does it play for a short time, and then crash?

And how did you format your drive?

Waiting for a bit more information........Ciao!

Old 02-12-2004, 07:28 PM

Woah, wait a sec.
If you copied the files from your firewire drive to your desktop, and then opened the session, the session will still try to play the files from the firewire drive.
After you've copied the files. You need to unmount the firewire drive. (or delete the files from that drive.)
Frankly I'm kinda a Mt. Dew guy.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:21 AM

My firewire drive was originally formatted in OS 9.2.2 (Mac OS Extended). Does it really make a huge difference if it was formatted in OS 9 or X? I'll format a clean drive in OS X and see if working off that is any more stable (glad I have the luxury of tons of drives). However, this is happening on my internal drive as well. The sessions I did copy over from firewire, I made sure I unmounted it before working on the session. I actually recorded directly onto my internal drive and it froze on me. I know working off my internal drive isn't necessarily "good" but it should work fine. I got like 140GB to spare on a new computer, so I'm positive its not super fragmented or anything .

This morning I scoured answerbase some more, and tried uninstalling my Kensington Mouseworks, but I just froze again a few minutes ago. At least I'm saving after every action. I'm just paranoid about recording. We do a lot of improv and it would be a big blow to lose some good stuff. I do run a backup Hi-8, but its always a pain capturing etc. As fate would have it, I just got a call from my VP while writing this post saying that the head honchos from the Noggin Network are coming to my Monday's record (yeah, I'm pissed I have to work on Monday). Now I'm scared!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:09 AM

Make sure that you switch on Firewire drive before the Computer so that it mounts at start up. If you don't do this the FW drive will go to sleep and mess stuff up!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Avid

Hi,
Do you have a non Digi PCI card in your system? If you have a SCSI card what model is it? I see you making reference to running a tape backup. If you do have another card in your system you may want to pull it to see if it is giving you problems. I would definitely recommend formatting your drives with the disk utility. If you have two sticks of RAM installed you may want to pull and one and swap them out to see if you have a RAM issue.
Thanks,
Digi Tech Support
Old 02-13-2004, 12:41 PM

I've worked on the same drives for a while and didn't really have problems with them going to sleep (although I was running OS 9 at the time). Its a tough problem to troubleshoot because it happens like twice a day, so I think its fixed, then all of the sudden it freezes back up. I'm done mixing for the day, so I'm gonna run the apple hardware test to check the RAM. I didn't have any more crashes since I trashed the Digi Databases, but it could just be a matter of time.

The only PCI cards I have in the system are the 2 HD cards. The tape backup I run is not data, its audio from my A/D converters through my digital patchbay to my Hi-8 so its isolated from my computer issues.

I really appreciate the help, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Aidas
Old 02-13-2004, 01:59 PM

Apple Hardware test reports no problems with RAM. Should I trust it?
Aidas