Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-12-2004, 07:42 AM

Default Pops and Clicks at 96k!

here's the deal.......a 1gig laptop running an HD2 with a 2-slot magma chassis (according to digi, this chassis is one of the supported ones), running OS 10.3.2, PT 6.3.2.

Pops and clicks happen only at higher sampling rates.
I've gotten the same results on my other laptop (G4 667). Pops and clicks look like dropouts in the waveform. I thought it was a clocking issue. And when I arm a track and just record (no audio input), no pops. When I record something with any amplitude, Lots of pops.

My other system is running PT 5.3.1, and OS 9.2. 7-slot magma chassis and a G4 450 desktop. HD3, SYNC I/O. No problems whatsoever at higher sampling rates. I'm recording to one firewire drive, as well.

In my case, it's not a DSP issue. Whether I run 1, 2, or whatever makes no difference.

So, right now, my "mobile system" is merely a playback- only machine at 96k. Hmmmm.......

Any ideas?

Good luck.

Mark

Old 02-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Avid

Default Re: Pops and Clicks at 96k!

Mark,
What kind of drives are you recording to and how are they formatted? Does this happen across all inputs on your audio interface. What is your hardware buffer set to? What is the model number of the Magma? How many tracks are in the session? Since you have multiple system you may want to try swapping some components around. Post some more info about what you have and what you have tried.
Thanks,
Digi Tech Support
Old 02-12-2004, 12:15 PM

Do a search. I started an endless topic about this problem and Digi has no clue. It really doesn't work. Some reports of it working with panther, but I gave up and switched to a desktop.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply! Any-whoo, my business partner just had you guys on the phone, and we've been given some more options to try.....swapping hardware, checking other inputs......etc.......

In regards to drives.......the session started on one system on a Wiebetech GB 80 gig, then was drag-and-dropped to a Glyph companion drive.......formatted HFS+

Track wise, maybe 20 tracks. I don't think it's a track count issue.

Can't tell you which expansion chassis it is....but it's pretty new......anyway, thanks again for the reply, and we'll be back in touch by Tuesday...

Old 02-12-2004, 12:19 PM

when you say "doesn't work" do you mean a laptop/expansion combination?
Old 02-12-2004, 02:18 PM

Mine seems to be working, 44.1-96k/24-bit. I just tested 28 tracks at 96/24, with DV, and no hiccups, pops, clicks, what have you. I've done 40 tracks at 48/24 DV, same thing. I'm sure it'll go more. I always generate code from the Sync I/O as a part of the test.

Here's my setup: Alu 1-gig, 1-gig of RAM, 10.3.2, PT 6.2.3. Magma 4-slot chassis, HD3. Audio on OWC FW800, with Granite Digital cable. DV off of OWC FW400 drive, and Canopus box, both into Granite Digital firewire hub with their cables (I mention this not as a plug, but that highest quality cabling actually counts for something here)

In the Playback Engine, max everything out. Highest CPU percentage, highest hardware buffer rate, and highest voice/track count, even if you're not using all of those voices (it forces the program to allocate more RAM, forcing a restart; I have mine set at 128 voices, 4 DSP). Set the DAE at 4. This works for me. I sadly ditched SCSI (you have to) but this appears to be working quite well. Make sure your FW drives have the latest firmware. Granite Digital also makes chassis and carriers for both FW400 and FW800, and those work well too, though the OWC drives are signifigantly quieter.

I'm testing this daily and will be doing a small movie on it in a few weeks. I use SampleTank, but few plug-ins. I too really want to see this work, and I think now it's almost all in place.

Craig
Old 02-13-2004, 08:38 AM

I use a similar portable set up HD 2 in a Magma 2 slot chassis with the SCSI card removed (as per Digi). PB 667 w/ 1 GB of RAM.
Clicks and Pops @ 96 K. My ONLY work around (that was quick) was to track in OS 9. Everything went OK.