Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-08-2004, 08:13 PM

Default HD Pops and Clicks OS 10.3.2 PT 6.2.3

Hi all...

I just got my new 2.0 GHZ DP G5 out of the box and loaded up with my HD2 Protools 6.2.3 and OS X 10.3.2. I am moving from a G4 with OS 9.2 running PT 5.3.1. At this point I am runing sessions off a firewire drive (WD) because my scsi card is not supported. (ATTO UL2D)

When I open sessions, I get these bizzar digital error like sounds in my monitors. Is this common.

I am getting pops and clicks like mad. But they are never in the same place and they are not in source audio files.

I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find out what is causing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan Robb
8 South Studios
Old 02-09-2004, 03:01 AM

Default Re: HD Pops and Clicks OS 10.3.2 PT 6.2.3

In my experience pops and clicks are usually a word clock issue. I would check this first to see if the settings are correct and if the word clock connections are installed properly. I am using a Mix System so I do not know the particulars about HD but at the very least there are word clock connectors that must be properly connected in order to prevent pops and clicks.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:51 AM

Hi Brobb,

What are your settings in the Playback Engine Dialog? Do the pops and clicks go away if you change the H/W Buffer Size?

Thanks,
-Ted
Old 02-09-2004, 12:40 PM

At this point I don't have anything hooked up to my word clock because ProTools is the only thing that I have going. All the clocks are internal to Protools. (I don't even have a midi interface hooked up yet)

I tried messing with the H/W buffer size. It was set to the default, 256 samples. I changed it 1024 and it did not seem to make a difference. Do you have suggestions for settings? I never had any problems with G4 466 setup. I have always used the defaults.

I did go back and notice that my Firewire Drive was Journaled, even though I swear that I choose for it not to be. Anyway. I backed up everything on my FW Hard Drive and I am going to re-format it again and see if that is what is causing the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone else has any thing....(thanks in advance)

Bryan
Old 02-09-2004, 09:20 PM

Well After hours of trying different things this is what I have come up with.

When I use a hardware setup which only uses 1 DSP (IE. 48 Voices or less) i get no pops or clicks. When I add the second DSP I get pops and clicks. I found this out by opening up the demo session from the install cd. It played fine. When I started looking at the differences I noticed this.

At this point I have:

1. Run Digi Test and everything test out fine:
2. Re-sat both of my HD Cards (Core and process)
3. Checked to make sure they are connected properly in the computer. (Core = B and Process = A on the Flexicable)

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan Robb
8 South Studios
Old 02-10-2004, 03:33 PM

I'm having the same problem.
I have: 1 gig G4 laptop, 10.3.2 PT 6.2.3, 2-slot expansion chassis, 192 I/0 HD2.

I'm getting pops and clicks, also, when recording, it shows up as a waveform.
it manifests at 96k and above.
One firewire drive, less than 24 tracks.
Have swapped out RAM.
I'm out of ideas, except to say that this doesn't happen on my G4 450 desktop with OS 9.2 on the same session.

I've chatted with My friend at the center for pro tools in Orlando, and we're scratching our heads.

Thanks
Mark Prator
Pratorm@mac.com
Old 02-10-2004, 04:00 PM

Hi Ted... I posted these in the other thread...but I am not sure you are seing them as I see you have made a new thread...

Post 1 (Answers your question)

At this point I don't have anything hooked up to my word clock because ProTools is the only thing that I have going. All the clocks are internal to Protools. (I don't even have a midi interface hooked up yet)

I tried messing with the H/W buffer size. It was set to the default, 256 samples. I changed it 1024 and it did not seem to make a difference. Do you have suggestions for settings? I never had any problems with G4 466 setup. I have always used the defaults.

I did go back and notice that my Firewire Drive was Journaled, even though I swear that I choose for it not to be. Anyway. I backed up everything on my FW Hard Drive and I am going to re-format it again and see if that is what is causing the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone else has any thing....(thanks in advance)

Bryan

Post 2 --New Discoveries

Well After hours of trying different things this is what I have come up with.

When I use a hardware setup which only uses 1 DSP (IE. 48 Voices or less) i get no pops or clicks. When I add the second DSP I get pops and clicks. I found this out by opening up the demo session from the install cd. It played fine. When I started looking at the differences I noticed this.

At this point I have:

1. Run Digi Test and everything test out fine:
2. Re-sat both of my HD Cards (Core and process)
3. Checked to make sure they are connected properly in the computer. (Core = B and Process = A on the Flexicable)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Bryan Robb
8 South Studios
Old 02-10-2004, 05:49 PM

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the info. A couple more questions...

1. Do you hear any pops and clicks if there are no RTAS plug-ins in the session?

2. When you hear the pops and clicks, what are your settings for the HW Buffer Size, sample rate, and the engine. For example: 256 at 96K with the 8-voice/1 DSP engine.

Thanks again,
-Ted
Old 02-10-2004, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the info. A couple more questions...

1. Do you hear any pops and clicks if there are no RTAS plug-ins in the session?

2. When you hear the pops and clicks, what are your settings for the HW Buffer Size, sample rate, and the engine. For example: 256 at 96K with the 8-voice/1 DSP engine.

Thanks again,
-Ted

Hi Ted...Thanks for following up!

1. There are no RTAS in the Demo session and it has the same problems as my sessions with reagards to popping and clicking. I have tried taking out all routing and all TDM plug-ins so that it is only audio tracks going to the 1-2 output. It still pops and clicks.

2. H/W Buffer Size = 256 Samples.
CPU Usage Limit = 40%
Number of voices = 64 (2 DSPS)
Sample Rage 44.1
DAE Playback Buffer = Level 2

Again if I switch the number of voices to 48 (1 DSP) I get no Pops or clicks.

I have tried changing the different levels of H/W Buffer size / CPU Usage and DAE Playback Buffer...but to no avail. It seems to be a problem with adding a second DSP (Allocated on the other card) for playback.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:47 PM

HD2
dual 1.8
PT 6.2.3

Hey Bryan, I've had the same experience when instancing 4 or more soft-synth RTAS connections. (Reason, Stylus, Trilogy and Lounge Lizard) After printing the Stylus, the click went away. So it seems to be a maxed out CPU issue- which is bullocks since I'm running a dual 1.8, CPU limit set to %80 and very limited track counts. Changing the P.E. settings had no effect. Needless of say I'm pretty bummed. B.T.W, I only get the pops at the 96k SR.