Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 PM

Default SC48 + Aviom A360 Mixers: Drum Channels Dropping Out

We have a SC48 mixer with A-Net output card connected to A16 Pro to the new A360 mixers.

Band members are complaining of audio channels dropping out randomly. Last week, no one was near the board and the issue happened.

I had further conversation with the band and they state it's not dropping completing..drummer described it as "the drums sound full and fat before it drops..then it just thins out"

The main channel that seems to be missing is the Drum Stereo AUX (has toms, snare blended in).

Help? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 AM

Default Re: SC48 + Aviom A360 Mixers: Drum Channels Dropping Out

I read this a couple of days ago and see there's no response so I'll see if my 2 cents is worth anything.

I wonder if you have boosted the output levels like I do to the Aviom system. All of my direct outs and regular outputs have a +10db boost. So I'm almost certain this causes havoc in the digital domain as we've recorded the output of the Aviom to a DAW and the waveform is pretty much flat and full as if there's a nice limiter built in to the output of the Aviom. What I'm curious about is if the limiter in the new A360 doesn't tolerate this much input/output as the older systems do and instead of just sounding thin and limited, it just plain craps out when it reaches a certain level. I know that my drum auxes in particular run pretty hot so I'm just wondering if you turn down the level of the drums will this go away.

A frequent problem I have with my stage musicians using Aviom is that they don't have the master up loud enough (Gain structure in general is always a issue). They take the thing they want to hear the most and turn that channel up all the way and have the master down at around 11 o'clock or less. It will require some re-mixing and training, but those should be at a minimum of 1 o'clock to get the best output. I can't speak to the A360 as I haven't gotten my hands on one yet but I suspect it is a similar situation.

I'm not saying this is your issue, just throwing out a suggestion.
Sacramento, CA
Old 02-04-2014, 07:24 AM

I would suggest you try to record the output to hear for yourself what is happening.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 PM

Brian I do have them boosted +12db on the direct output for the aux. :-/

I will turn it down and see.

Kristo..I will record the output from the aux and see what it sounds like.