Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Lightbulb SOLVED: Cannot Add Hardware (Mbox 2 Windows XP PRO SP3)

Spent about 8 hours yesterday trying to figure out why an mbox 2 from my home studio (amd dual core system with windows xp pro sp3) wouldnt install onto a friends system (amd dual core system with windows xp pro sp3)

After plugging mbox 2 in the found new hardware would pop up and wouldnt be able to find the driver, and manually forcing the driver to add as "Mbox 2 Audio" was not the right solution.

After spending hours of searching the net and returning home to check my system out I realized the system I had a problem with was missing USB.INF file inside C:\Windows\Inf .. the usb INF file is the driver for microsofts USB Composite Device (which is what the mbox2 uses because it contains 3 separate drivers, mbox 2 audio, midi and firmware updater).

I hadnt seen this solution anywhere on this forums and had seen this solution worked for people with digital cameras and other usb peripherals of that sort so I figured I would try it out on my faulty system, I googled "USB.INF" download into google, downloaded and placed inside the C:\Windows\Inf\ folder restarted computer and plugged in the mbox and boom it went thru and installed each seperate driver (audio/midi/firmware updater)

Hopefully someone will find this useful, just trying to give my two cents because wasting a day trying to install the mbox2 and having it come down to one file was frustrating.