Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Korg Triton and PT 7.1

I have a client who comes into my studio with his Korg Triton loaded with sequenced tracks he wants to lay vocals down on. What I've been doing so far is taking the left and right out of his Triton into my 002 line in 5 and 6. I push record. He pushes play. Each song has 9 or so tracks we do it nine times. He gives me the BPM of each song and I go through and manualy conform the whole thing to a grid.

That's all well and good, but it takes a bit of time to manually sync back up all the X number of samples each track is off because of the "analog" method of pushing record and play. I know there is an easier way to do this. I thought I'd read somewhere that the Triton can save OMF files to a disk? Even if that's the case my client won't pay for me to buy the DigiTranslator, and he's the only client I have right now who would benefit from it.

I've worked extensively with midi and know I could dump the midi from his board into a sequencer (Reason) and then have the sequencer trigger his keyboard. I'm just not sure that going through all that would take less than the 15 to 20 minutes per song it takes to conform each one manually to the grid. On top of that he refuses to learn to use the keyboard properly and won't pay me for the time it would take to read the manual and study the keyboard.

Ok...so there's my venting. My question is does anyone here have experiance with a Triton or similar keyboard? Is there a quicker (or easier) way to do all of this? Thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Korg Triton and PT 7.1

Why don't you just sync the transports using MTC? If you've "worked extensively with MIDI", then I would imagine you would be quite familiar with the procedure.

If not, there are plenty of instructions on these forii for syncing a Triton to Pro Tools, including THIS ONE or THIS ONE.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-25-2007, 09:56 AM

Thank you. Sorry for posting a question whos answer was already posted elsewhere.

My main issue is that he won't let me alter his keyboard settings or functions and won't do it himself as he doesn't know how to work any functions other than simple sequencing. Having a direct menu path to follow on his keyboard might make it easier to convince him to allow me to change it.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:17 AM

I do all of my sequencing in my triton and record them with pro tools via my digi 002. It's easy to set the triton up to be controled exterally and can be switched back to internal just as easily. Hit the Global button, then hit the menu button, hit p1 midi on the touch screen, select external midi, check receive ext. realtime comands. Now when u hit play on yor digi 002 it will start the triton. I usually sequence 8 bar sections in my triton, record them into pro tools track by track using the stereo L R triton outputs. I go through each track recording it soloed then once in PT I copy & past the 8 bars sections down and make my arrangement. Hope that helps.....
Old 06-04-2007, 05:07 PM

The korg triton series has 6 individual out on it.
I sequence w/ the triton extreme all the time.

You should be able to get at least 6 tracks inputed into pt at once.

Any track can be sent to any output even if it has effects on it.
I cannot comment on midi because I am not familiar w/ it in the least.

Generally I will use the triton to sequence drums, bass, strings and horns.
Guitar and vocals can be overdubbed after recording to pt.

For each track there is a drop down inside the triton to select the output. The default will send it to the stereo out l/r.

It is as simple as choosing the path from this dropdown.
If the output level for each trk. is not high enough, then there is also an output level for each trk.
Make sure all levels are maxed in the mixer section.

I am reasonably sure the controls for all the triton series are the same or close to the same.

Outputting 6 tracks should be easy as pie. The l/r output can be broken into 2 seperate tracks by panning the track hard l or r.

Best wishes and shoot another post if you need further help.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:08 AM

i have had the triton pro for about 6 years, and must say its the easiest device i've synced to protools. just enable external sync from the global menu (you dont even have to turn off to use the keyb normailly) and you can also route to the addtional audio outs for a total of six outs to your 002.

if you're rally feeling brave you can record the midi from the triton into PTLE as weel as the sysex messages so that you can load an entire trition song from PT including all the correct patches for each track. i dont think you can load the FX on the triton thru sysex, but this may have changed in the later versions of PT

If you have any detailed questions i'd be happy to help when im off work (anytime after 600pm EST)
Old 06-08-2007, 07:01 AM

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I really do appreciate it.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:57 PM

What's up AfricanCaneKing,
I have a question, and I'm hoping you'll help me out.
I just recently purchased the Digi002 Rack. I also have a Korg Triton Studio. I am very confused on how i can send the solo sequenced tracks on my Korg, and have it record into the pro tools session. I've done some MIDI stuff before and I got it to work through Neundo, but with pro tools, i am having alot of trouble.
This is how it is hooked up. The Korg is connected with MIDI IN, to the Pro Tools MIDI OUT. I have the MAIN L/R from the Korg to the Input 5 And 6 on the Pro Tools. What i want to do is be able to setup the Pro Tools so i can record each track through Audio and MIDI, so i can arrange and edit my music in stereo with pro tools. If you could please give me a detailed instruction from creating a NEW SESSION, and what i have to do to setup Pro Tools, then the KORG, and send the music, it would save my life.

Currently, the MIX in pro tools doesn't even show that Input 5 and 6 are available, i can't even hear the keyboard through the pro tools, which i also want to do. Anyways, thats where i'm stuck, please help!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 PM

Check your I/O settings and make sure you have the inputs active. Open your I/O settings and click the Input tab. Make sure all inputs are avilable. If they are not, create, name and assign them. This should fix the input problem. I would also check the Output tab and make sure your outputs are active. If they are not, follow the above procedure for the outputs.

I am a bit confused about what you are trying to do with the Triton. Are you trying to record individual MIDI tracks and Audio Tracks at the same time?

Hope that helped,

Mike