Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2004, 10:43 PM

Default Radio Station Equipment

I was just recently hired to equip and setup an internet radio station from an abandoned building in a neighborhood somewhat clost to skid row....

My issue is this: they don't know what they need, but neither do I. I can do recording studios, but I assume this is a somewhat different animal(NOT very different, but still different).

What they have:

Broadcast console w/8 inputs(3 are available for announcing and the other five are in use for cd players and the like)

2 Behringer Stereo Compressors/Gates(Trash. I need to install better ones)

A makeshift home audio reciever used to monitor through crappy consumer bookshelf speakers

No headphones

Behringer TRS Patchbay

2 cheap dynamic mics(I donated them when someone gave them to me as a perk)

All of the equipment is to be left on 24/7 which causes an IMMENSE amount of heat.

The station intends to have in-house live performances and interviews with local independent artists with only a $1,200 budget for equipment. They also plan on recording these events.

I get chills just thinking about what I'm in for, but I just installed new op-amps in the Console and all of the wiring is kosher. I got some good Belden three conductor cable with hundreds of patch points so I'm good with that department. I guess I need a list of the most to least important elements to purchase for the station. Any help would make my life easier.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Radio Station Equipment

I built a net radio thingy (it was actually 25 radio stations)

you can do this realy simply (sound blaster card and win media encoder) or go the whole hog.

you can use analog into the pc, and analog recording etc.

keep it simple.