Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-20-2019, 06:17 AM

Default Using Sonnet chassis with FW800 to Thunderbolt adapter

Just read an article on pro-tools-expert about using firewire 400 devices with thunderbolt adapters. Got me to wondering if firewire 800 to thunderbolt adapter would work with the Sonnet chassis? I still run an older Protools TDM system, and have an HDX card I haven't gotten around to installing. If I could run the HDX card on an external chassis, I'm thinking I could still run my older system while getting the new system up & running. Or switch back & forth as needed. Has anyone had any luck doing that?
Thx,
Dan
Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Using Sonnet chassis with FW800 to Thunderbolt adapter

Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you want to do, but yes, many of us are running HDX cards in Sonnet Echo Express-3 (Thunderbolt2-to-PCIe) chassis, and many in fact running HDX cards in the new TB3/USB-C chassis.

Occasionally, I need to mount an older FW drive, and the only adapter I have is the TB2-to-FW800. For a really old FW400 device, I just use the FW800-to-FW400 cable, but works perfectly well!

If you're talking about using a 3rd-party FW400 audio interface, I can't see why that wouldn't work!

And yes, the Sonnet TB Chassis has two ports, so you can daisy-chain a second device off of it..!..

Last edited by Mixchump; 02-20-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 03-13-2019, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Using Sonnet chassis with FW800 to Thunderbolt adapter

If you're thinking of using this in reverse, i.e. to plug an external TB chassis into a firewire port on your Mac, it's not gonna work that way. I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to do, though.