How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-16-2019, 06:39 AM

Default Re: 2018 MacMini experiment on ProTools HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudnoize Ent. View Post
I've had the MM for under a month now and couldn't be happier. Like everyone else here, it's super fast, really gets the job done. I've only one concern and hopefully some of you will chime in. When working in Pro Tools for hours, mostly with VI's and large libraries, the mini's temp fluctuates between 85 & 98 degrees Celsius. The fan does kick in (btw, I can't hear it so that's nice) and it's doing its job but I'm still somewhat concerned. What's your take? Thx!
From my experience with Mac’s the fan really doesn’t speed up until it gets to the higher temperatures threshold. They do normally kick in way before 85 and 95°c. You probably already know this but you want to make sure you have it in a good place where it can have good ventilation. What App are you using to gauge your temperature? Some apps out there are not accurate. You can also get an app that will allow you to control the fan speed at different temperature intervals that way you have more control. I must say my Mac has never run that hot and the highest temp it would hit with Pro Tools was around 65°c but then again it all depends on other factors like the temperature in your room, temperature outside and how well ventilated the area around the Mac is etc. If you are doing extreme video editing/rendering then yeah it will probably climb higher. If I’m remembering correctly the highest threshold for that Intel processor is 100°c. As long as it does not go over the threshold I have been told it’s fine but I still like to play it safe. I would also like to ask what part of the computer is the app gauging the CPU, CPU proximity, die, system etc.?

Last edited by zion; 01-16-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
From my experience with Mac’s the fan really doesn’t speed up until it gets to the higher temperatures threshold. They do normally kick in way before 85 and 95°c. You probably already know this but you want to make sure you have it in a good place where it can have good ventilation. What App are you using to gauge your temperature? Some apps out there are not accurate. You can also get an app that will allow you to control the fan speed at different temperature intervals that way you have more control. I must say my Mac has never run that hot and the highest temp it would hit with Pro Tools was around 65°c but then again it all depends on other factors like the temperature in your room, temperature outside and how well ventilated the area around the Mac is etc. If you are doing extreme video editing/rendering then yeah it will probably climb higher. If I’m remembering correctly the highest threshold for that Intel processor is 100°c. As long as it does not go over the threshold I have been told it’s fine but I still like to play it safe. I would also like to ask what part of the computer is the app gauging the CPU, CPU proximity, die, system etc.?
Thanks for your input, zion. The mini is located in an area of the room where there is plenty of ventilation so I would feel this isn’t an issue. The app I use to gauge is iStat Menus, but I also get my results from Intel Power Gadget, which is prolly the best app, IMO. To make things a little clearer, this is what I have plugged into the mini, 3.2 GHz, 6 Core i7, 32 GB Ram.

Sony 4k 49” x720e monitor
Hp 27” 27es monitor
Mercury Elite Pro Dual Mini Storage enclosure, 2 Crucial 960 SSD)
G-Drive external HD, 6TB
Kawai ES100 Keyboard
Faderport 2018
7 port hub (iLoks, eLicensor, HD Pro C920
Waves DogiGrid IOS (SoundGrid Studio control app which runs in the background)
Ethernet

Right now, while posting this, the Temps CPU PECI reads 67°c. I usually go by this reading. One thing I have noticed and that is the SoundGrid Studio app is a bit of a hog and when I quit it, I can get roughly 54°c. Maybe this is the norm. Another thing I can’t quite figure out and that is when SoundGrid Studio app is running, the Intel Power Gadget (Frequency Core) is always at 4.30, straight line across. When I quit SGS, the Frequency begins to fluctuate between 3.2 & 4.0. Is this normal?

My PT sessions are roughly 60 tracks, combination of Instruments, audio, aux tracks. The Vienna Ensemble Pro template is 20 channels, mostly with orchestral K6 VI’s but also Keyscape, Omni, RMX, UVI, etc. As I write this, PT and VEP is loaded and the temp idles at 88°. To me, this is pretty high but unsure as to what I can do to bring it down. I can try manually setting the fan speed but I heard this wasn't a good thing to do. Maybe I’m wrong. Anyway, just a little overview of my setup. Thx.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your input, zion. The mini is located in an area of the room where there is plenty of ventilation so I would feel this isn’t an issue. The app I use to gauge is iStat Menus, but I also get my results from Intel Power Gadget, which is prolly the best app, IMO. To make things a little clearer, this is what I have plugged into the mini, 3.2 GHz, 6 Core i7, 32 GB Ram.

Sony 4k 49” x720e monitor
Hp 27” 27es monitor
Mercury Elite Pro Dual Mini Storage enclosure, 2 Crucial 960 SSD)
G-Drive external HD, 6TB
Kawai ES100 Keyboard
Faderport 2018
7 port hub (iLoks, eLicensor, HD Pro C920
Waves DogiGrid IOS (SoundGrid Studio control app which runs in the background)
Ethernet

Right now, while posting this, the Temps CPU PECI reads 67°c. I usually go by this reading. One thing I have noticed and that is the SoundGrid Studio app is a bit of a hog and when I quit it, I can get roughly 54°c. Maybe this is the norm. Another thing I can’t quite figure out and that is when SoundGrid Studio app is running, the Intel Power Gadget (Frequency Core) is always at 4.30, straight line across. When I quit SGS, the Frequency begins to fluctuate between 3.2 & 4.0. Is this normal?

My PT sessions are roughly 60 tracks, combination of Instruments, audio, aux tracks. The Vienna Ensemble Pro template is 20 channels, mostly with orchestral K6 VI’s but also Keyscape, Omni, RMX, UVI, etc. As I write this, PT and VEP is loaded and the temp idles at 88°. To me, this is pretty high but unsure as to what I can do to bring it down. I can try manually setting the fan speed but I heard this wasn't a good thing to do. Maybe I’m wrong. Anyway, just a little overview of my setup. Thx.
Wow, you are putting a heavy load on your system. What were the thermal conditions of your previous computer? There are apps out there that auto adjust the fan at higher and lower temps that will allow you to set the fan speed at different temperature intervals which is better than manually leaving it at one speed. Maybe someone with the same system will chime in. My unit will arrive in about a week. I will report back and let you know how it compares. You could always give Apple support a call and see what they say about the high temperatures. Have you done that yet? When you do, report back and let us know what they have to say about it.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Wow, you are putting a heavy load on your system. What were the thermal conditions of your previous computer? There are apps out there that auto adjust the fan at higher and lower temps that will allow you to set the fan speed at different temperature intervals which is better than manually leaving it at one speed. Maybe someone with the same system will chime in. My unit will arrive in about a week. I will report back and let you know how it compares. You could always give Apple support a call and see what they say about the high temperatures. Have you done that yet? When you do, report back and let us know what they have to say about it.
That's what I keep thinking re: heavy load on system. My previous Mac was a Mac Pro 2010, 12 core, a beast of a machine but had it for almost 10 years and it was time for a change. Sold it immediately too. I did contact Apple support and they said it was normal and if it didn't go pass 100°c, all is good. For some reason, I'm not quite buying that. Maybe the newer Macs can handle heat much better. I don't know so I was hoping others could dive in with their experiences. I'm curious to your results when you get you MM. Overall, it is a great unit!
Old 01-20-2019, 06:35 AM

I just bought a new MM 2018 too and same here - pretty hot compared to my older mac mini..! But I guess (or hope) it should be able to handle it

I just recorded for 2 weeks on PT 2018.12 and couldn´t be happier - pretty stable (1 crash in 2 weeks) and very fast - fun to work on!
Old 01-20-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Temps CPU PECI reads 67°c
You're killing it if it runs like that 24/7
Old 01-20-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You're killing it if it runs like that 24/7
It isn't powered on 24/7 but it does run a good 14 hours a day and forget the 67° c... it's that temperature when Pro Tools isn't even loaded. When working in PT, Vienna Ensemble Pro, several VI's and plugins, the mini's temp will fluctuate be 85 & 95°c. This is really a concern to me but I've asked several folks and they don't seem to think it's a problem and that the mini is designed to take the beating.

I'd be interested in knowing what temperatures others are getting and I'm not saying 4 audio tracks with a couple plugins, I mean a full load... get the mini working.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoop2112 View Post
Final setup, in detail:

2018 Mac Mini, 3.2ghz 6 core
1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM (user installed)

2 Thunderbolt busses:

- TB buss 1: eGPU (Razer Core X with Sapphire Vega 64)
- TB buss 2: OWC Thunderbay 4 --> Sonnet Echo Express Pro (TB1) Avid HDX + UAD Octo ---> Highpoint 2 bay drive dock

2x4k monitor connected to Vega 64
1 small 1024x768 connected to MacMini

MacMini USB port1 --> Monoprice USB 2.0 extension able --> USB 2.0 hub --> 2 x USB keyboard + mice, 4xUSB midi interface
MacMini USB port2 --> USB 3.0 hub (iLok / eLicenser)

MacMini USB-C ---> usb 3.1 hub (external SSD drives)

ProTools 2018.10 Ultimate
UAD
Logic Pro

I highly recommend the 1TB SSD. You can always add SSD drives, but since you cannot change them, good to have a bigger drive for system.

First of all: Thanks for the amazing thread to all who have contributed! Loads of good information. @Khoop: Would you mind detailing the cost of your setup?

Georges
The Saxplayer
Old 01-21-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing what temperatures others are getting and I'm not saying 4 audio tracks with a couple plugins, I mean a full load... get the mini working.
Take a look at the specs of thermal pastes... the day you boil it will be the day you fry your cpu
Old 01-21-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Take a look at the specs of thermal pastes... the day you boil it will be the day you fry your cpu
Aren't computers, whether the mini or any other, designed to shut down to prevent frying the cpu, when over 100°c which is boiling point?