How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-13-2015, 12:47 AM

Default PT 12 HD issues

Hi,

Just running my first session on PT 12.

I have an issue with an audible spike in a clip that appeared out of nowhere!

I copied and pasted another section of audio over this clip and the spike is still there??

Admittedly I'm running off a Mac Mini i5 with only 4 gig ram but it's only a small session and there's no CPU or memory issues showing up.

I've also had the system stall a few times looking for a larger buffer but I put this down to the system I'm running.

Any ideas or is 12.2 dodgy?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:52 AM

Default Re: PT 12 HD issues

I don't think you'll have a smooth experience with such a small amount of RAM. Don't know the capabilities of the Mini.

Which OS are you running? PT HD 12.2 has been very stable for me on 10.8.5.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
Hi,

Just running my first session on PT 12.

I have an issue with an audible spike in a clip that appeared out of nowhere!

I copied and pasted another section of audio over this clip and the spike is still there??

Admittedly I'm running off a Mac Mini i5 with only 4 gig ram but it's only a small session and there's no CPU or memory issues showing up.

I've also had the system stall a few times looking for a larger buffer but I put this down to the system I'm running.

Any ideas or is 12.2 dodgy?
Don´t know if this may be the main problem but unfortunately an i5 Mini isn´t really a good machine for the latest version of Pro Tools
and one of the current versions of OSX and even worse 4GB Ram simply will be not enough for a flawless PT12 performance.
Hopefully you got a fast enough, Pro Tools-ready drive in your Mini (no 5400rpm HDD and no Fusion drive) and you are NOT even running
your Pro Tools sessions from that one internal OS drive only!?

Please, check out your OS drive as for compatibility and use a 2nd, separate external (or internal) drive for your Pro Tools session incl. all
your audio files. This 2nd drive has to be a 7200rpm HDD at least, SSDs prefered and the drive (if not internal) needs to run via Firewire
800, USB 3 or Thunderbolt. NO USB 2 as this will be too slow for the use with Pro Tools either.

Only exception will be a 512GB or 1TB original Apple Flash drive. Those Flash drives are that blazingly fast that you can run all your PT
sessions incl. audio files from it only, you will not necessarily need a 2nd separate drive with such a one. With any other kind of OS drive
you definitely have to use such a 2nd drive though.

Further you really should put in all 16GB Ram memory just because PT12 now is a 64bit application with disk cache. Therefor it will help
and make sense to have as much Ram as possible. You were not saying which exact model of Mini you have, which year, which model ID?
For 2011/2012 Minis you can get really affordable yet good quality memory from Amazon. Just as an example.
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-DDR3L-...2+Mac+Mini+Ram

There you also will find the most affordable yet useable external/internal drives for Pro Tools.
The most affordable solution (given you have USB 3 ports on your Mini) will be this one if you put such a one
http://www.amazon.com/Black-750GB-Pe...ital+Black+2.5
into such a one
http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Inat...SB+3+enclosure
which will be about $75.- all together.
If you can afford a bit more use the same USB 3 enclosure but a SSD instead of the 7200rpm HDD like such a one for example
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-In...amsung+850+Evo
which will be $175.- all together. Not that much for a high quality, very fast 500GB SSD which will run at 400mb/s+ both Read+Write.

In the case your Mini still has no USB 3 or Thunderbolt you may use a Firewire 800 HDD with 7200rpm rotation speed like such a one.
http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Rugged-T...ugged+Firewire

If you have a 2011/2012 Mini you also could put a 2nd internal drive in your Mini yourself. Both drives from above will do the job there as well.

Finally don´t forget to do all the optimization stuff in your OSX for Pro Tools, this is important for a good PT performance as well!
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983
(just find your OS and check it out there)

Hope you will find a solution finally because PT12.2/12.3 are great and working well in most cases. No issue here at all (Macbook Pro, SSD,
16GB Ram, OSX Yosemite 10.10.5).

The best of success to you!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:52 PM

Thanks for all that excellent information. It all makes perfect sense.