Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 11:55 PM

Default MIDI timing issues anyone?

Is anyone experiencing MIDI timing issues upon playback of midi tracks? Ex: MIDI out from PT to drum machines, modules, etc. and upon recording the audio back into ProTools, the audio is randomly off from the original MIDI notes. This issue has been going since about 6.4 or so. I mean, users are talking about all of the bells and whistles of MIDI in PT but if the timing's not there, it's all moot! What's the use of quantizing the MIDI notes when you just have to use beat detective to quantize the audio? Very frustrating. Is DIGI acknowledging this issue??

PT 7
DELL 670
All SCSI drives
Midi I/O
Old 12-10-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: MIDI timing issues anyone?

Hi there mate.

I'm afraid so (re link).

Check the links in that thread and you'll see I've been fighting this since PT5/Digi001. It appears iit's only the increase in CPU speeds of modern computer hardware that offset the problem to a degree in my latest rig. Load up the CPU with plug-ins, albeit with more plugs than CPUs could handle five years ago, and the erratic MIDI timing rears its ugly head.

The way I've always dealt with the issue is to disable (not bypass) plug-ins when you need to record timing-crucial MIDI sequences into audio tracks.

And you have a MIDI I/O, so what hope is there for the rest of us?!

Note to self: Breath In/Out/In/Out/In/Out/In/Out/In/Out/In/Out/In/Out/In/Out/In/Out/In/Out/In/Out/In/Out/In/Out....
Old 12-12-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: MIDI timing issues anyone?

I had a Midi sport that caused lockups, a MOTU AVP (something like that) and that caused intermittent lapsing of communication with modules and my DIGI PRE's - so the next step was getting A DIGI MIDI i/o which eliminated all of these issues except for the timing which, as u put it: ".. reared its ugly head" when using any of these devices. I'm an HD user with only TDM plugs in the session, so there is no CPU strain at all but for sh*ts and giggles, I'm gonna disable the plugs to see if that does anything. If that actually works, I'd be ecstatic. I'll let u know, but I'm not holding my breath.