Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Default PT 9 - Will it make my 003R finally work like a regular soundcard?

I'm on LE 8 and considering if I should upgrade, and besides if ADC actually makes a difference, this is an important thing for me:

will LE hardware now finally work like a soundcard, without this weird special treatment with a slow Digi CoreAudio Manager popping up everytime? Does the way LE hardware works change at all with v9?
Old 12-13-2010, 12:30 PM

Default Re: PT 9 - Will it make my 003R finally work like a regular soundcard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoize View Post
I'm on LE 8 and considering if I should upgrade, and besides if ADC actually makes a difference, this is an important thing for me:

will LE hardware now finally work like a soundcard, without this weird special treatment with a slow Digi CoreAudio Manager popping up everytime? Does the way LE hardware works change at all with v9?
ADC makes a lot of difference, if you use plug-ins that cause latency. Most do, even if just a little bit.

Certainly 96 stereo or mono tracks makes a difference.

Yes, there are new drivers for Mbox 2 and 002/003 series interfaces.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
ADC makes a lot of difference, if you use plug-ins that cause latency. Most do, even if just a little bit.

Thanks for the fast reply, ejwells. Cool, new drivers! :) That sure would be nice.

Directed to the Avid team:
The part that doesn't make sense to me is that, after spending about $1500 in LE hardware, and $500 in paid updates to PT 7 and 8, I now have to pay $250 more, to get features every DAW has had for quite a few years now. Besides, wasn't that the whole premise of Pro Tools LE? Pay for hardware and software, but then get updates and support when new versions are out?

It's a bit arrogant that you guys now come out exactly with what PT users have been asking for years, act like you came up with it on your own, and tell us we can have all those features we hoped for a while ago - but it's gonna cost us even more cash.

This is why you deserve for your software to be cracked and posted on some obscure newsgroup. Just because you've been holding out features to make money, doesn't mean you can make some more now when you decide to finally do what we've been telling you to do. Yeah I bet it was a lot of hard work, but it's all because you decided to follow your little business model. Customers shouldn't be paying for your product development mistakes.

PS: and before you decide to complain about my rant because you love Avid so much, think about it. If it wasn't for users like me who come here and tell it like it is, so the whole community of professionals can read and think about it, Pro Tools 9 would probably just offer 6 more busses and a secret pinball game.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the fast reply, ejwells. Cool, new drivers! :) That sure would be nice.

Directed to the Avid team:
The part that doesn't make sense to me is that, after spending about $1500 in LE hardware, and $500 in paid updates to PT 7 and 8, I now have to pay $250 more, to get features every DAW has had for quite a few years now. Besides, wasn't that the whole premise of Pro Tools LE? Pay for hardware and software, but then get updates and support when new versions are out?

It's a bit arrogant that you guys now come out exactly with what PT users have been asking for years, act like you came up with it on your own, and tell us we can have all those features we hoped for a while ago - but it's gonna cost us even more cash.

This is why you deserve for your software to be cracked and posted on some obscure newsgroup. Just because you've been holding out features to make money, doesn't mean you can make some more now when you decide to finally do what we've been telling you to do. Yeah I bet it was a lot of hard work, but it's all because you decided to follow your little business model. Customers shouldn't be paying for your product development mistakes.

PS: and before you decide to complain about my rant because you love Avid so much, think about it. If it wasn't for users like me who come here and tell it like it is, so the whole community of professionals can read and think about it, Pro Tools 9 would probably just offer 6 more busses and a secret pinball game.
So, do you want to upgrade or not?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Take a look at the AES video. They were showing user requests and talking about trying to meet them. New management, new attitude.

New development/features always means more money. When Photoshop comes out with a new revision, they charge money for it... er cash for it.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post

But are those new drivers digi core audio or just plain CoreAudio drivers? Quite a difference.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 AM

They are digi core audio just upgrade to 9 with a 003
Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8ty View Post
They are digi core audio just upgrade to 9 with a 003
Do you know if the new mbox uses the digi core audio?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 PM

Not sure, but I would bet so.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
Do you know if the new mbox uses the digi core audio?
No, it does not. The only ones that do are the single client hardware devices - 002/003, original Mbox and HD.