Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-24-2004, 06:24 PM

Default I need some insight

i purchased the 002Rack, i decided that i hated it for some reason. its not making me feel in control. i think my problem is that i used Sonar by Cakewalk for about 3 years and i just dont wanna get used to nothing else. can you give me a reason to use Protools over sonar. one of my big concerns is like Sonar does protools 6.4 have key bindings? thats where you set any key on your computeer key board to do any function like hit keys Ctrl + M to bring up the mixer.

Also does Protools allow you to control plugins.

I just ordered a MOTU 828MkII also. SO i have the 002rack and the Motu 828 here in my possesion.Im here now and I've been messing with it (MOTU) honestly for about 10 hours straight. i cant fully get it working because it acts as a stand alone mixer and a sound card so having the settings correctly configured for my recordings seems to be difficult. Should i return the 002Rack and get the bundled software, keep the MOtu 828 with SOnar, or..................?

PLEASE TELL ME SOMETHING.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Re: I need some insight

Well, the OO2R is a little bit light for a boat anchor...

Yes you can automate plugins, and yes, the basic Protools is a very intuative interface.

...But... Nothing says you need to use it if it doesn't feel good.

How important is the $1100-?

luck
Old 10-25-2004, 08:11 AM

Hi,

Its all perspective. I was a huge LOGIC user from way back in the ATARI-NOTATOR days. Even once I owned 002 I kept using Logic for my programming etc then I would mix in Pro tools, then Logic did me a favour and sold out to MAC and they stopped producing PC versions and expected me to go out and buy a MAC to keep upgrading. Once I realised they weren't joking I started using Pro Tools for everything. Now I don't open Logic at all, and have adjusted to working just as fast if not faster with the Pro Tools environment and with the 6.7 upgrade not far away with it's focus on MIDI I am happy (extremely) to be working in a software environment which is accepted worlwide as a standard. I can pre produce albums then walk into virtually any serious studio and keep working without a hitch. I know I couldn't do that with Logic nor definately with Sonar.

Even if I am completing product totally in my project setup, my clients can walk away with back ups they can open pretty much anywhere.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck with your decision.

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 10-25-2004, 08:42 AM

gh4life ,

Good luck to you, in whatever decision you might make...
I'm fairly new to PT myself, but as it's being an industry standard application, I had to go with it...There are and always will be adopting and relearning curves involved in getting a new software.
However, to answer at least one of your questions;
Quote:
one of my big concerns is like Sonar does protools 6.4 have key bindings? thats where you set any key on your computeer key board to do any function like hit keys Ctrl + M to bring up the mixer.

Well, yes of course...read your shortcuts PDF manual, included in your install.
Pay attention to "Command Focus", single key press for most frequently used functions !!

good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 10-25-2004, 11:03 AM

I was using Sonar prior to switching to PTLE as well. It was kinda weird at first, but you get used to it. The only thing I can't say is better in PTLE is midi. It's okay but Sonar is much easier to work with I would say. But the audio portion of PTLE and the mixing and routing functions are far better and offer much more than Sonar. Sonar isn't bad mind you, but I defintely hear a difference in PTLE.
40GB HDD for OS
250GB HDD for Audio
(2) 17" Monitors
Old 10-25-2004, 11:10 AM

i was on Cubase 3.5 vst... never looked back.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:22 AM

I sold my MOTU 2408 to get my 001, then upgraded to 002r. I've been a cakewalk user since cakewalk 2.0 (the MIDI only version) thru sonar 3. I really appreciate all the MIDI features of cakewalk/sonar, and sometimes I wish that Pro Tools had them (in the new version, it just might ) but I hardly ever use sonar at all anymore. I prefer Pro Tools.
Just my 2¢
YMMV

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-25-2004, 12:21 PM

gh4life ,

This forum is the greatest place to get helping advice. Stick with PT...
BTW;
Quote:
Should i return the 002Rack and get the bundled software,
>this question of yours puzzles me. What "bundled software" are you thinking of ??
If it's PT LE Vxxx, no , you can not do that.

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 10-27-2004, 09:26 AM

i can return protools, matter of fact i just did. i was talking about returning protools Le for 1199 and getting the oo2rack that comes with the bundled software for like 1350. thanks for all of your insight fellaz. guess i was just to use to sonar. Thanks again.