Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 05-17-2006, 07:58 PM

Default PROBLEM->M-POWERED PT W/ FIREWIRE 410 HELP PLEASE!

HEY I AM IN DESPERATE NEED OF SOME ASSISTANCE AS THE DIDGIDESIGN HELP LINE IS USELESS...I RUN PRO TOOLS M-POWERED WITH A FIREWIRE 410 INTERFACE ON A POWERBOOK G4 THATS PRACTICALLY NEW. I INSTALLED THE THE FIREWIRE 410, THEN PRO TOOLS, AND NOW WHEN I TRY TO RECORD IT SAYS THAT I AM RUNNING OUT OF CPU POWER AND TO REMOVE PLUG INS OR INSCREASE CPU POWER. THIS HAPPENS WHEN I AM NOT EVEN USING ANY PLUG INS AND THE CPU POWER IS AT 85% USING 1 PROCESSOR. I AM LOST AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO...ALSO, SOMETIMES IT DOES RECORD BUT WHEN I PLAY IT BACK I GET NO VOLUME...

PLEASE HELP! I AM DESPERATE!!!

THANK YOU!

TAKE CARE,
FRED FISHER
Old 05-18-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Re: PROBLEM->M-POWERED PT W/ FIREWIRE 410 HELP PLE

Fill everyone in a little more on your system. We need to know CPU, RAM, OS version, ProTools version, sample rate, etc.

My first suggestion would be make sure you have the proper drivers from M-Audio's support site for the OS you are running. Then uninstall ProTools and Reinstall it again after the new drivers are installed.

However, I would suggest checking the compatibility guides or filling us in first on the afore mentioned info.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 06-14-2006, 09:07 PM

Hey. I'm new to the forum, but not to PT and it's features. I am currently running and nearly brand new iMac G5 w/ OS X Tiger ver. 10.4.2 and 1.5 GB of RAM. I have installed PT M-Powered 7.1 and I'm using a M-Audio Firewire 410 w/ appropriate drivers. I've been slowly chugging through a few sessions, checking the forum for tips and solutions to the problems I've been having. I have officially reached the point where I know something is wrong, and it's not my system. I started a new session the other day, and after tracking 1 stereo audio track w/ BF76 plug-in, and CPU overload messages started showing up. I can't recall what specific problem codes it's giving me, but the two different ones are both regarding a low CPU limit and buffer size. I'm using 85% CPU and 512 sample buffer on level 2 playback buffer. I've tried everything suggested on the forums regarding reinstalling, trashing prefs., repairing permissions, blah, blah, blah. Nothing works. I'm starting to lose faith in this product and it's benefits. Help please.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:55 PM

Hey, uh, Digidesign: you gonna answer anytime? I really do need some help, and I know I'm not the only one.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:39 AM

why are you still on tiger 4.2 7.1 was made when 4.5 was out and now were on 4.6 get the new OS and the new drivers the program was made to work on an OS after yoursand your driver is old too--the more CPU you use leaves less space to process any other tasks use less I started with 10.4.5 and had a few glitches with 7.0 now everything is fine update your equipment man...
Old 07-02-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Re: PROBLEM->M-POWERED PT W/ FIREWIRE 410 HELP PLEASE!

I'm running pt mpowered 7.1 on a powerbook G4 with osx 10.4.6. I've got 1 GB of ram and 1.67 GHz of processing. I'm using a firewire solo iterface and I'm not having any trouble with cpu usage errors but I get no soung when I playback. What silly thing could I be overlooking or is something actually wrong?
I don't have a stereo system hooked up yet. I just want to hear it through the computer to see if it works
Old 07-04-2006, 05:20 AM

It sounds like to me a lot of these issues are to do with background tasks or worse yet... are you on the net whenever you run PT?

Ive got so many music computers now but one thing that keeps each going and still useful (even if they are 5years+ old) is that they are only music computers - they only touch the net for updates - no silly chat garbage - no word processing stuff - just straight Pro Tools/Sonar/Logic

I suggest reformatting and making sure nothing is plugged in or running when you install your FW device

Then install PT and if that dont work then the computer is either seriously not capable or the FW device is up the creek

anybody disagree?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:16 AM

I'm having the same problems. I'm running PTMP 7.1.1 on a MBP 17" with 2gig of ram, external Lacie 7200rpm firewire 800 hard drive and FW18/14. I'm now running OS 10.4.7, but had the same problems under 10.4.6. I keep getting out of CPU error message -9128, even when trying to play back a single mono track with no plug-ins in an otherwise empty session. I'll get a second or two of audio before it cuts out and the error message pops up. No combination of buffer settings, CPU allocation and so forth makes any difference. I'm not running any unneccessary background tasks and neither the Pro Tools performance meter or OSX activity monitor come anywhere near showing an overload. I've got the latest drivers and i've tried re-installing and gone through all the troubleshooting tips such as trashing preferences etc. FW18/14 works fine with Ableton and Garageband. Anyone have any more ideas? I'd really appreciate some advice on this one, because I'm totally out of ideas.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Avid

Quote:
Hey, uh, Digidesign: you gonna answer anytime? I really do need some help, and I know I'm not the only one.
Please keep in mind that this is the USER conference - while we do monitor these boards, we are not able to reply to every post. If you require immediate assistance, please contact technical support by phone.

With that, I have a few questions - first, what are the exact error numbers in the messages you're getting? Are you using the internal drive for recording and playback? When you say you've done all the troubleshooting, can you be more specific about what you have and have not done? Most importantly, have you verified that all installed plug-ins are Pro Tools 7 compatible?

Thebullets - you will need to provide more information on your system for anyone to be able to assist you. Please be as specific as possible.

Mattrock - how do you have your drive connected to the computer and the 1814? What brand/model is the drive? Have you tried all the steps in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting thread yet?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:08 AM

Success! After going through everything again last night I tracked the problem down to having my hard drive connected to the firewire 800 port on my laptop. With the 18/14 connected direct to the firewire 400 port and the hard drive daisy-chained through that everything works perfectly. Hard drive is a Lacie little big disk 200Gb. I've been through all the steps in the general troubleshooting thread and run a hardware check, which didn't turn up any problems. I'm happy until it all falls over again anyway. I can't be bothered spending any more time trying to sort this out when there's mixing to be done just for a little more hard drive speed. Rock on.