Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 04-05-2018, 06:15 AM

Default high pitch whining noise

every time i open protools i get a high pitch whining noise coming through the input of my mbox pro 3. i didn't recognize the noise until after i changed the tubes in my mic pre. i spoke with the creators of the mic pre i use and they told me it wasn't the mic pre. they said by changing the tubes they must have amplified the noise to be more recognized. they said brand new tubes come out hot, which they are right because i had to literally turn the gain down allot after i changed the tubes. i let them listen to the sound and they told me it sounds more like a digital feedback im getting. i am so confused because i have never had this problem. my speakers has always made white noise but i knew that was a ground related issue. i didn't care because i wasn't getting the white noise in my recordings, but this other issue is showing up in my recordings. I've never dealt with anything like this, and I've been recording vocals for years. after realizing the issue i hooked an old digi 003 i used to use, same annoying noise. then i took my mic pre to a friends house and hooked it up to his Apollo twin, i didn't get the same whining noise but i received a weird humming noise. it was very low but it sill appeared in my recording. i know about grounding issues, but I've never heard of it showing up in recordings and only being active when you lunch protools. has anybody ever had this issue and found a solution?
im also including a sample of the sound im receiving through a link on sound cloud. https://soundcloud.com/lilc850/whining-noise
its no audio, i just recorded so you can hear the noise. you have to turn your speakers up to the max in order to hear it. its gonna be low because no plugins are added to amplify the sound.

im running protools 10&12, mbox pro 3rd generation & digi 003, avalon 737 mic pre, neuman 103 mic, yamaha 8 speakers, imac 21 inch 2011 8 gigs of ram 2.5 GHz intel core i5, osx 10.9.5
Old 09-05-2018, 10:08 PM

Default Re: high pitch whining noise

I too have this problem! I can't figure it out....trying a USA isolator this week....hopefully thats it! Only happens when I fire up protools though.....using a presonus interface. You have any luck fixing yours?