Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 07-25-2014, 12:09 AM

Default Waves StudioRack - example of good plugin chain presets implementation in Pro Tools

Well, people have asked for plugin chain presets in Pro Tools since the beginning of time. And here we have it - although for Waves plugins only, the way it works is really nice. Automation works, cmnd+ctrl+click on parameters works, Preview / Capture works. After several hours of testing it is very usable with no noticeable issues. It greatly enhances workflow in Pro Tools for people that rely mainly on Waves plugins.

I think this could be the way Avid might implement plugin chain presets. Think: a plugin more or less the same as Waves StudioRack but for all AAX plugins.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 07-25-2014, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Waves StudioRack - example of good plugin chain presets implementation in Pro Too

I disagree completely.

I want plugin chains and the ability to load them etc, but I DO NOT want them all buried into another "interface" in the GUI.

PT has 10 inserts for a reason. I want each plug on its own insert, freely viewable and accessible on my ICON.

I guess it's cool for Waves' plugs and the same will likely be true for Slate's VMR, but I don't think it's a good way for Avid to handle this in PT overall.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Waves StudioRack - example of good plugin chain presets implementation in Pro Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I disagree completely.

I want plugin chains and the ability to load them etc, but I DO NOT want them all buried into another "interface" in the GUI.

PT has 10 inserts for a reason. I want each plug on its own insert, freely viewable and accessible on my ICON.

What I mainly like about this implementation is that I can recall a preset that contains changes in all 8 plugins and Pro Tools sees it as a change in automation parameters of all plugins. Using the following: Preview mode, copy/paste plugin settings (cmnd+shift+C/V) and write automation to selection is great. I think it's quicker than using Capture buffer.

I agree with your points. I also think mine are valid too. It would be nice if both could be achieved.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Old 07-25-2014, 05:26 AM

The problem is, if Avid does something similar, then you've got two systems inside PT. no bueno.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
The problem is, if Avid does something similar, then you've got two systems inside PT. no bueno.
Well, let's forget about a separate plugin. When they introduce plugin chain presets it would be useful if those presets could be automated, of course only in case the presets consist of exactly the same chain of plugins. You know - the way recalling presets in latch mode works now with single plugins.

Well, I think I got excited about having plugin chain presets right now with Waves :)
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Old 07-25-2014, 05:41 AM

"PT has 10 inserts for a reason. I want each plug on its own insert, freely viewable and accessible"

+1
Old 07-25-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
"PT has 10 inserts for a reason. I want each plug on its own insert, freely viewable and accessible"

+1
I do agree with this.
Basically: functionality of StudioRack without a separete window is something that I would like to see. With smooth recalling settings of all 10 inserts in one click.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Old 07-25-2014, 06:07 AM

Ok, so now we agree.

Not like Waves.

Although Avid, being in complete control of PT unlike Waves, could have some sort of global plugin view that would be similar.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
I do agree with this.
Basically: functionality of StudioRack without a separete window is something that I would like to see. With smooth recalling settings of all 10 inserts in one click.
yep one click would be great.

I haven't downloaded or installed it yet but I like that the output of each plugin has it's own metering....very useful
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:15 AM

I'm really hoping I'm mistaking here, but if you look on waves web page, there's prices set for the eMtion st mixer 450$, so unless I'm mistaken here, it seems that you need to buy the software on top of buying the hardware? Becoming expensive for something that will add layers of routing over your recording and mixing...

Wave-T.com