Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 AM

Default mastering limiter/compressor

In my job doing post for feature films and tv-shows, I use the Waves L316 limiter and a bit of equalizing on my output-bus. But im not satisfied, even with moderate settings it sounds a bit squashed. I'm considering investing in a Manley Slam with digital option; can anyone here in this community recomend the Slam for mastering post-jobs?
Thanks
Tom
www.eyeball.dk
Old 03-18-2009, 08:27 AM

Default Re: mastering limiter/compressor

I can't comment on Manley, but recently I had to finish some files for a small independent movie, and found the Waves L series unsatisfactory.

What I can recommend is the Massey L2007 Limiter from Steven Massey. Even with heavy limiting, the audio does not suffer, only gets louder. And at under $100, you can't really go wrong.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 AM

I too have switched from Waves L2 (never liked the L3 that much for some reason) to Massey 2007 as my final limiter for "in-the-box" TV/film/commercial post and am quite satisfied with it (as much as one can be who is constantly asked to make everything "as loud as possible and screw dynamics!" *sigh*). I also like Massey's CT4 for compression. And his De-esser....the only plug he's made that doesn't do it for me is the Tapehead, which gets too harsh to me compared to DUY's wonderful (and much more pricey) "Dad Tape".....

Haven't used the Slam but would be interested in opinions as well....
Old 03-20-2009, 01:39 AM

Try TC MD3 in limiter mode with the brickwall limiter after, super clean limiting. Download the trial on there homepage.

regards

benny
Old 03-20-2009, 02:01 AM

Well, no Slam user either... But for clean nice limiting I think you should check out McDSP ML4000, my favorite limiter by far. Also maybe Pro Audio DSP Dynamic Spectrum Mapper.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:38 AM

I'm a bit different.. I mix with a very light compressor on my master bus and then set my limiter to pick up errand peaks.. And there the normal focusrite has done it's job well. The L3 sounds too much like the Maxim, and I hate having my mixes sound that squashed.

But if need be the Massey L2007 actualy sounds awesome!! Have used it on some programming where I've got a wide array of material (music performances, dialog, av's) in one episode, and it's got the show to sound very tight but also still with air in it.

http://www.cmproductions.co.za
Old 03-20-2009, 07:47 AM

another vote for the L2007 Limiter. Its rediculously good and even before considering the rediculously cheap price. Outperforms the L1/L3 for me

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 AM

L2007 here, although you can't get as ridiculously loud as with the L2 (which I'm often asked to since German commercials are smashed to hell).
Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM

I use McDSP ML4000 - transparent, and an adjustable knee. And the full multiband processing version of the plug-in is a powerful if somewhat deep tool.

-jeremiah
Old 03-20-2009, 03:44 PM

+1 for Massey

The L series from Waves just sounds irritating and crunchy to me. Harsh midrange and very clippy sounding. Of course if you want your mix to sound like an mp3 through ear buds, rock with it. Seems to be the lo-fi no dynamics sound everyone is going for lately.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX