Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Default Help... "Super Cue" punch in mode for Pro Tools? Can you do it?

I occasionally get the artist who wants to hear their voice the whole time while they are punching in. So in other words, they want to hear their voice along with the original voice and then when I punch them in, the other voice should mute.

It seems simple, but I can't figure out how to set this up. I thought that maybe you could have a track that has input monitoring on with the same input as the track that you are punching in (without input monitoring on). But when you punch in, their voice is louder because you now have the signal coming through twice.

Any cool ideas of how to do this?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio

Last edited by Dizzi45Z; 08-04-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Rename post so people would find it easier.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Weird way of punching in help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I occasionally get the artist who wants to hear their voice the whole time while they are punching in. So in other words, they want to hear their voice along with the original voice and then when I punch them in, the other voice should mute.

It seems simple, but I can't figure out how to set this up. I thought that maybe you could have a track that has input monitoring on with the same input as the track that you are punching in (without input monitoring on). But when you punch in, their voice is louder because you now have the signal coming through twice.

Hi,

I've tried several ways to do this and nothing really worked. like most people i pull the recorded info onto a dedicated playback track but then you have to edit what you don't need before recording again.

I did send an email to Steve Massey to see if he could modify his talk-back plugin to mute when PT goes into record then it could be used on a monitor track!! It must be doable, i'm surprised AviDigi haven't thought of this option.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Hi! This is not sooo weird, I think this is known as the "super cue" feature of the SSL4000, so I think your console needs to support this. I don't know how it can be realized just within Pro Tools...
Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Hi,

I'm not sitting in front of my PT-rig ... but wouldn't it work like this ?

1) Create a mono Aux input.
2) Choose as input the one which is coming from the vocalist's mic preamp.
3) Choose as output a mono bus and as a second (and maybe third) output (with ctrl key pressed) an output or bus which will feed your control room section & the headphone cue.
4) Route the bus (the one output from the Aux) over to the Audio Channel's input where you want to record the vocalist.

That way, the vocalist/artist will always hear what's already recorded and he can sing in addition to it. As soon as you punch in (punch on the fly), he will only hear what he (or she) is singing.

I never tried that so far, but I will do so tomorrow to see if this might work
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 08-01-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
Hi,

I'm not sitting in front of my PT-rig ... but wouldn't it work like this ?

1) Create a mono Aux input.
2) Choose as input the one which is coming from the vocalist's mic preamp.
3) Choose as output a mono bus and as a second (and maybe third) output (with ctrl key pressed) an output or bus which will feed your control room section & the headphone cue.
4) Route the bus (the one output from the Aux) over to the Audio Channel's input where you want to record the vocalist.

That way, the vocalist/artist will always hear what's already recorded and he can sing in addition to it. As soon as you punch in (punch on the fly), he will only hear what he (or she) is singing.

I never tried that so far, but I will do so tomorrow to see if this might work
Thank you for all the responses. Hanswurstlsepp, I believe I set it all up as you explained and the problem is that when you punch in, you get twice the level from the vocalist because they hear both from the Aux input and from the output of the audio track which are both playing what is being recorded.

The way you describe has the same problem as just making both an aux input and a regular audio track's input the same.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 08-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

I did send an email to Steve Massey to see if he could modify his talk-back plugin to mute when PT goes into record then it could be used on a monitor track!! It must be doable, i'm surprised AviDigi haven't thought of this option.

Chris
Good idea. Is his Talkback plug-in still compatible? I stopped using it because I thought that it became incompatible. In any case, I miss that plug-in. I would really find it useful if he did include that option as well.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Good idea. Is his Talkback plug-in still compatible? I stopped using it because I thought that it became incompatible. In any case, I miss that plug-in. I would really find it useful if he did include that option as well.
Hi,

Still using it in the latest PT version.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Still using it in the latest PT version.

Chris
looking for the installer for weeks...

Old 08-02-2011, 05:01 AM

1. If using a control surface you could punch n mute together (Mute Mic-Monitor feed).
2. You could set up a phase reversed mono (Mic-Monitor) so they cancel when punched.*

* may require TDM-Trim Bothe channels and Delay Comp on (?). Figure the level balance for cancelation.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
1. If using a control surface you could punch n mute together (Mute Mic-Monitor feed).
2. You could set up a phase reversed mono (Mic-Monitor) so they cancel when punched.*

* may require TDM-Trim Bothe channels and Delay Comp on (?). Figure the level balance for cancelation.
Control surface way is messy and not really viable as it requires 2 buttons to be pressed and pressed again to un-mute etc.

I tried phase reversal but i couldn't get it to work. might try again though. Have you done it successfully?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com