Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2001, 09:42 AM

Default mutes and solos memory locations

Is there any chance that we will see memory locations for mutes and solos sometime before ProTools 7 comes out?
This feature request seems like an absolute no-brainer. We can store track heights, show/hide and pre/post roll times, why can't we store which tracks we want to mute and solo?????????????
I can't count the number of times I've had 8 or 10 various tracks muted and option-clicked a solo button only to accidentally option-click the mute button, releasing all my mutes. Then I have to go back and figure out what I had muted and re-mute each one.
Digi- why hasn't this feature been added? There are tons of ways it would be useful.
Old 04-07-2001, 04:51 PM

Default Re: mutes and solos memory locations

I’m a post guy and this is really another one of those no-brainers!! The benefit can be applied to mixing music as well. Let me give an example for you musicians out there.

We’re doing a pop music session and we’ve got the following:
12 tracks of drums, 4 tracks of horns, 5 tracks of guitars and bass.
We’ve built a mix on the drums and we want to toggle back and forth between the bass/guitars mix and our drums mix. Now obviously we can group enable our drums and mute our drums tracks leaving just the guitars. But that’s bogus. That means we have to make sure we are group enabled on our drums (that means opening up "Group Enable" box to the left, if it’s not already open, and making sure the Drum group is enabled, if not, you hi-light it) and then find one of those drum tracks and mute one of its tracks. Now I can foresee having to do this multiple times during a mix (maybe dozens or hundreds of times). Why not make a memory point that accepts solo and mute configurations so that the only thing a mixer has to do is type in a memory point location. Done! Simple and to the point!

As far as designing SFX, which is really what I do, I often want to break down various sound elements into groups and need the ability to mute and solo them quickly for myself as well for my clients. This is a huge TIME SAVER. On top of that, I also sometime accidentally hit the mute button while holding down the option key.
Old 04-08-2001, 12:10 AM

Here, here. I've the same scenario. Constantly having to reset my mutes, by the same click-mistake that releases my mutes.

This one has been a long time coming, and is clearly needed.

Old 04-08-2001, 03:31 PM

this makes very, very good sense!!!
How about it Digi?
Old 04-08-2001, 03:35 PM

this makes very, very good sense!!!
How about it Digi?
Old 04-08-2001, 03:58 PM

And the worst thing is that when you clear all mutes and redo it (you are shure that it is exaclty as before) the client says: Bulls**t it sounds different!!! What have you done? No matter if it's allright or not yo have to redo the track auditioning, at your fee!

------------------
somewhere in the planet
Old 05-02-2001, 11:15 AM

I'm going to keep kicking this one to the top until I hear a reply from Digi that they will implement this feature. Bells and whistles are great for selling products but let's cover the basics first- especially after how many years of protools now, 9?10?
Old 05-11-2001, 09:09 AM

does anyone from Digi actually read these boards?
Old 05-11-2001, 09:34 AM

I'd be happy to see this as part of the "Groups" choices. Not only Group muting, soloing, etc, but also Group track display (or not).

doc22