Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2006, 10:52 AM

Default This sucks!

I cannot get any of the ignition pack instruments in my tracks, I tried to reinstall them but they just ask me if I want to overwrite them, so I guess they are installed. Non of the Sampletank stuff shows up in the inserts though. I just want to put sound to midi tracks. I have about 21 days to figure this out otherwise DP here I come. Protools seems like ot would be great, but I'm not smart enough to get it working for me like I need it to. I am a hardware guy just getting into the DAW world, and I suck at it. I really just want something a layman can use well, I'm no brainsurgeon. Oh well I hope I can get some help here because sweetwater has so far left me for dead. it's like they got better things to do than help me. I hear DP is simpler. Hummmm. Help?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:32 AM

Default Re: This sucks!

Some more info, like which which version of PT are you using, would be helpful. You mentioned Sweetwater so I'm going to assume you just got it. If that's the case it should have came with PT 7. If not you are probably eligible for it, and I would get it. I say this because it has the new instrument tracks. They combine the audio and MIDI into one track. If you are on an earlier version you will need both a MIDI and an audio/aux track, but I have never done it that way so I can't be of much assistance.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:01 PM

all of the supplementary apps (i think with the exception of BFD) in the ignition pack are rewire applications.

Step by step for a hardware guy....

1-make an instrument track
2-on the insert, instantiate a "reason stereo" instrument. The reason adapted app should launch at this point and will probably ask for some kind of serial number or activation code.
3-in the plugin select Reason out L-R
4-in the midi input section at the top of the instrument strip select a reason instrument from the drop down list. (if the midi field isn't showing go to View->mix window->instruments)
5-put your midi region on the instrument track.
6- pull up the fader on the track and hit play, you should be hearing something.

I'll leave it up to you to figure out reason.

FYI DP is really no different except it doesn't come with any instruments or rewire apps.

hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:19 PM

Sampletank is an RTAS instrument bassntreble, but you're right about Reason & Live being rewire.

To use sampletank, you need either an "Instrument Track" (ProTools7x) or a MIDI track and an Aux Track (PT6.x).

For the Instrument Track, you just go to the insert area and select 'Sampletank' from the 'Instruments' sub-menu, load up a sample and you should be ready to to.

For PT6.x and earlier, you put the Sampletank insert on your Aux track, then set the output of the MIDI track to "Sampletank channel x" (depending on what channel you loaded your sound onto in sampletank).

BTW, this is all covered in the documentation, most of which is installed in Applications->Digidesign->Documentation. If you don't have the PDFs there, you can download them here.

DP is definitely not easier than PT, PT is as simple as it gets when it comes to setup and learning curve, especially if you're coming from a hardware background.