Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2000, 05:28 PM

Default What happened to dsp sharing?

Digi
It's been a long time coming.....What happened to third party development that was supposed to make the mix system more powerful.Update us please.

Shaddoe
Old 04-17-2000, 08:22 AM

Default Re: What happened to dsp sharing?

Yes, whats up?
Przemek.
Old 04-17-2000, 04:05 PM

with 5.0 there are more plugs that show up in the allocator as "plug-in sharing" instead of hogging a while chip even if it's only using 10% -- is that what you're referring to, or were they talking about something actually meaningful? (I never heard the original stories about this supposed development...)
Old 04-18-2000, 06:54 AM
Avid

What's up Shaddoe,

There are quite a few new plugins for TDM and some of these new plugins take advantage of the plugin sharing protocol.

Lexiverb has been updated as well as the TC products. Waves has a couple of new plugins like enigma and C4. Check out alkali by gallery (you gotta check this 1 out) not to mention the virus plugin, koblo and direct connect technology.

With the new AV option and AVoption XL your mix hardware can become a very powerful audio for video finishing suite and all your files are compatiable with the industry standard avid video systems (media composer ect.)

I just spent a week at NAB and pro tools/digidesign is making a name for itself in the post community while still being a leader in the DAW community.

Your mix system has the potential to be much more powerful than when you first purchased it and this is only the begining.

B Carter
Digidesign

[This message has been edited by DigiTechSupt (edited April 25, 2000).]
Old 04-18-2000, 09:10 AM

What's up Brian

I guess it was about a year or so ago when Digi promised DSP sharing.Which meant that plug-ins from different manufacturers could share a chip if there were enough resources available.Prime example.... I'm down to my last dsp chip running 60 percent with focusrite d2 but I need one more Ren Comp to complete the mix of a lifetime. I know there are work arounds with audiosuite but this is about the DSP sharing we were promised.

------------------
Don't come here buggin if you don't know how to use your plugin.
Old 04-19-2000, 11:48 AM

If I'm understanding Brian correctly, what he's saying is that they've got the sharing that you're talking about but that not everything is utilizing it. What I've observed is that very, very few plugs are actually using it. The latest version of the d3 uses plug-in sharing, but nothing else in my regular bag of tricks does, so that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Waves has their own version of it, but they don't play with non-waves stuff. So, in other words, this feature is in place, but until the plug-ins are programmed to use it, it's useless. I guess what Brian is saying is that this is being implemented in the newly developed plugs but not retrofitted to old ones.
Old 04-20-2000, 12:31 AM

B Carter,

Are you saying the latest Lexiverb and TC stuff will share a chip with a Digiplugin?

sm
Old 04-21-2000, 08:39 AM

What is the point of DSP-sharing a Lexiverb? From what I was told, it uses a whole chip anyway? Or am I missing something?

>>> B Carter,
>>>
>>>Are you saying the latest Lexiverb and TC
>>>stuff will share a chip with a Digiplugin?
>>>
>>> sm
Old 04-21-2000, 08:51 AM

<<<What is the point of DSP-sharing a Lexiverb? From what I was told, it uses a whole chip anyway? Or am I missing something?>>>

It uses a whole chip on a vintage DSP farm and it also uses a whole chip on a MIX farm. The MIX farm is MUCH more powerful so it really doesn't need to use a whole chip. The quick solution for MIX farm users was to just make it compatible so that it will work. It doesn't have to use a whole chip though.
Old 04-21-2000, 10:27 PM
Avid

Remember that there are different families of plugins. EQ's and compressors are more likely to be able to share a common NR (NoRam) chip. Whereas Reverbs and chorus type effets are looking for SR (SRam) Chips. Waves seem to have their own form of plugin sharing whereas digi plug-ins "seem" to use plug-in sharing a little different than waves. Either way you slice it, currently you are able to benifit from PLS (plug-in sharing) when you use common groups of plug-ins. For instance, I tend to stick with focusrite eq's because in my humble opinion, they seem to make the most efficient use of PLS, and I go to another type of EQ plug-in (like filter bank) only when it really calls for it (until you get more mix farms this seems to be the efficient way to go about it). By doing this you'll tend to get a predictable amount of DSP with minimal surprises.

As you know, reverbs are different because of the more complex algorithms they require. They use the more powerful onyx SRam chip and developers tend to use that extra power to enhance their plug-ins.

Blairl, Lexiverb added functionality to their plug-in instead of getting away with the exact same algorithm as what was used with their vintage farm version of Lexiverb, thus you still get 1 per SR chip. Waves (am I mentioning waves) created the C4 which will only run on an onyx chip and it has a very complex algorithm compared to their other plug-ins. With D-Verb, you can get 2 instances per Sram Chip. Everybody develops different which is probably a good thing in the end.

When you get your hands on the Virus plug-in, you will see a very efficient use of PLS as it pertains to having a synthesizer or mulitiple synths loaded onto a single chip.

As DSP manager improves and grows we should also have a better experience as it pertains to plug-ins. It seems like a long time but it's really only been a couple of years since pro tools has been able to be not only your DAW editor but also your mixer and effects rack as well.

B Carter
Digidesign

Sorry for the long winded response -

[This message has been edited by DigiTechSupt (edited April 21, 2000).]