Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2000, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Global consipracy towards eradication of compact disc\'s

Charles...

Mine in A DV 515. It's multi-code too, but I think it's been tweaked.

cheers
Mesh
Old 02-26-2000, 06:31 AM

the Pioneer DVD units have a dual laser design that allows them to play virtually any acceptable media...notice the success rates of the Pioneer owners...DVD players,these days(by design)barely do what they're supposed to to, much less play one-off CD's that you and I burn ourselves...it's a flawed technology-like the first generation CD players were(not that many)years ago...oh well...Blade Runner looks incredible!
Old 02-26-2000, 10:46 AM

The laser issue is one thing, but the audio industry is moving ahead with the SMDI technology that will prevent CD-R piracy of commercially released material. Commercial CD releases will have a robust watermark and a non-robust watermark. The robust watermark will be copied by the CD-R burner, but the non-robust watermark won't. If the CD or DVD player detects the robust watermark, but not the non-robust watermark, the CD won't play. From what I understand, this CP is built into the firmware of the machines, so it can't be over-ridden by software hacks.

The nice thing about this is that your own CD-Rs containing your own original material (assuming you haven't ripped off samples from other artists' copy protected commercial CDs and incorporated them into your music) will play fine.

IMO, this new CP is coming along just in time. The explosion in CDR piracy is threatening to make being in the music business a hobby for lots of folks that used to be able to earn a living at it.

Lee Blaske

Old 02-27-2000, 11:56 AM

here's my 2 cents. I have a Philips DVD 825 player. I bought it less than a year ago and it was the cheapest in the store- $225. It plays audio CDs and CDRs fine (as well as DVDs of course). I use cheap .89 media with Toast and Jam and haven't had a problem yet.