Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-1999, 01:21 PM

Default Re: imported movie sluggish

I'm using DC-20 with QT 2.5 and scrubbing doesn't work well. I can't say how good the quality is compared to the other cards - but it's not good.
Old 12-27-1999, 02:27 PM

He Guys: it's funny I see the DC20 surface here: I thought most of you would be working with DC30+ or Media100.

I have an issue with QT as well: I used to work with a DC20 and AMIII running 4.3 and QT2.5 (the other versions all gave problems). I've recently switched to a 001 on a G4 (350/sawtooth + 2940UW) and although the DC20 works wonderful (even with QT4), as soon as PT5.0 gets involved, I get a message that there's too much traffic on the PCI bus to '...reliably communicate with the hardware...' bla bla.

It does not seem to have anything to do with your topic at hand here, but it has definitely to do with the PT-software; I ran some tests, and it works fine the other way around in Premiere (QT playback with 44.1 audio).

I've asked Digi to reply on this and they suggested to remove the Adaptec 2940UW (which I did with the exact same results).

Maybe there's a general QT-bug at work here which might result in the problems you're having ?
Old 12-27-1999, 04:04 PM

I just wanted to post this to let you know where looking into this issue and it's been brought to the attention of the powers that be.

Brad
Old 12-28-1999, 12:43 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried it all to no avail. Scrubbing is bad. I ahve a friend with a dc20 card. He uses qt 2.5 and it works great. BTW has anyone ever tried to use a miro pix on the the fuse card and vice versa? I'd like to know if it works. There has to be a reason for bad scrubbing. DIGI, for the 2nd time-- Answers please!
Old 12-30-1999, 06:16 PM

Regarding the sluggish performance during scrub, I just had a peculiar thing occur to me. I have been experiencing the sluggish performance with a QT movie online for some time, but now the normal scrubbing performance with movie playback has returned. The only change to my system was I turned on Norton Disklight for reasons unrelated to ProTools.

I checked my results with some recently completed sessions that always exhibited poor scrubbing performance and they too are showing normal scrubbing with the movie.

9600/350, MacOS 8.1, QT 3.02, Fuse 1.8.3, PT4.3.1, Norton 3.x
Old 01-02-2000, 01:40 PM

>>>>>The only change to my system was I turned on Norton Disklight<<<<<

Are you certain that's all that you changed?
I turned mine on, off, left, right. No difference. I knew it was a long shot but I got SOOO excited.
Oh well.
Old 01-12-2000, 09:34 PM

Digi- Any answers yet?
Old 01-14-2000, 09:24 AM

I GOT MINE WORKING!!!!!!!!!

I have four different sets of versions of the miro extensions and none of them solved the problem. I had a friend save a copy of his system profile with the "Apple System Profiler" and went thru and compared everyting and it turns out he was using version 1.12 of the Miro extensions, which I didn't have. I popped em in and the scrubbing is working great (well, at least great for ProTools). I can't believe after weeks and months of trying different system versions and quicktime versions and trashing prefs yada yada it was as simple as this.
I really hope this turns out to be the fix for anyone else as well because I know how incredibly annoying this one is.
BTW, what should I charge Digi for doing their work for them?
Also, if you go to pinnacle's web site you can get version 1.1, 1.11, 1.2, and 1.21 BUT NOT VERSION 1.12 !!!! So if you want me to send it to you email [email protected]

good luck, hope it works
Old 01-14-2000, 07:29 PM

>> BTW, what should I charge Digi for doing their work for them? <<

Miro changed their drivers, and that's digi's fault?
Old 01-15-2000, 03:19 AM

>>Miro changed their drivers, and that's digi's fault?<<

No, of course it's not Digi's 'fault', and of course I wasn't really talking about billing them, but at least we now know that you have no sense of humor, despite your cartoon name. But there are other posts regarding this exact same issue going back at least to 9/12/98 and even earlier. For the work I, and many other ProTools users, do, scrubbing to picture is absolutely essential but, up until today, was impossible for me to do. A few weeks back, Techsupt2 posted that Digi was finally looking into the problem, which I greatly appreciate, given the number of problems that keep popping up for them to troubleshoot. But the fact remains that I had to jump through hoops and spend a lot of hours testing different system installs, extension combinations, etc. trying to find the source of the problem. The real drag is the fact that Digi even states in the compatibility docs that firmware 1.1.2 is the one that was approved (since I have never seen that particular version I assume they're probably talking about 1.12) but since that version is not posted on Pinnacle's site I couldn't test it for myself until I got the extensions from another PT user. Maybe it would be a good idea for Digi to start posting some of these third-party drivers on their own site (at least the versions that are Digi-approved) to possibly avoid causing months or even years of grief to the small number of users who run into a problem such as this.