Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 AM

Default Mbox 3 Mini Converters

Hi, is the Mbox 3 Mini converter the same as Mbox 3 and Mbox 3 Pro - a Cirrus Logic CS 4272?

Thanks,
Gerry.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 Mini Converters

Nope there different. But sound good all the same.

"The Mbox and Mox Pro are the exact same converters and preamps. The Mbox Mini uses a very similar converter that doesn't go all the way to 192kHz like those used in the Mbox and Mbox Pro. The sound across all three were designed to out perform the Mbox 2, ProFires and Duet. I think they sound amazing but I work for Avid. I'll let your ears be the judge. It shouldn't be long before we have some unbiased opinions on the sound quality get posted. We're also working on getting some comparison files of the new Mbox and the Mbox 2 products posted online.

BTW, the converters in the Mbox and Mbox Pro are Cirrus Logic CS 4272

RayT"
Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the quick responce RayT from Avid...

Can you please tell me what is the make/model of the converter in the Mbox 3 mini?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:15 PM

that's from an old thread. Google search Mbox 3 Mini Converter. They do not specify in that thread. I would put in an email request to avid for this info though. You might get lucky but you will for sure get an answer if you ask AVID directly. Then you can come back and let the rest of us know.

Have not seen Ray around in a while that was a quote.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:54 AM

Thanks for your reply, but why would I bother posting this request if I could find the answer in google...anyway, in your previous thread, you said you work for Avid?

No worries, I will contact another staff member from Avid.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 AM

They (AVID) are kinda of like the guy who posted about the midi ghost in his system....."they might b here but u just really never know"
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 AM

Your trippin. I never said I worked for AVID. LOL I work for myself. But if you couldn't find the info i just posted from a year old thread by doing a Google search your doing something wrong (and it answered your first question right?). My suggestion was that you E-MAIL avid support and ask your second question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerarddaly View Post
Thanks for your reply, but why would I bother posting this request if I could find the answer in google...anyway, in your previous thread, you said you work for Avid?

No worries, I will contact another staff member from Avid.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 AM

I wouldn't get hung up on which converter is in there, because that's only one piece of the puzzle. There are some low budget interfaces thst use the same converter chip as expensive ones do, but they don't sound nearly as good, because the design and components around the chip is what brings the quality.

Having said that, I have heard the Mbox 3 and the Mini, and they sound very close. Any of these new Mboxes sound excellent.

If you want to hear an Mbox Mini in person, go to your nearest Guitar Center, to the Keyboard section, and they have a setup to audition various Virtual Instruments on an Imac, through the Mbox Mini.