Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2010, 03:05 AM

Default Re: PT9 + Baby blue Mbox1 + Digi CoreAudio Manager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Ok... so if it will only take a day of work... be my guest, write some new drivers for it.
No you're right, it won't take a day.

It will take five seconds.

Why?
Because it's already written.
And already released.
It's called DCAM 8.01.
And it's working fine here.
No such luck with 8.03 though, Mbox1 recognition has been removed .
Old 11-07-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I could understand they don't support the product (and then still), but they could at list write a little driver with no support.
they cant write a new driver and then not support it.

the 001 and mbox 1 are old halfass technology (sorry, but its true) with design flaws, which is why they have been relegated to the proverbial scrap heap.

i understand reluctance to throw them out. i have an 001 system that still runs on a win xp sp2 machine - the same machine it's always been on. it's version locked - it still runs with PT LE 6.4. but i also dont try to hook the 001 up to my new i7 or complain that it wont work with a new machine, or that it's no longer supported because it's antiquated technology.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 11-07-2010, 06:44 PM

Nick. Is dcam 8.0.1 working with PT9? I couldnt get that combination to work.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstool719 View Post
they cant write a new driver and then not support it.

the 001 and mbox 1 are old halfass technology (sorry, but its true) with design flaws, which is why they have been relegated to the proverbial scrap heap.

i understand reluctance to throw them out. i have an 001 system that still runs on a win xp sp2 machine - the same machine it's always been on. it's version locked - it still runs with PT LE 6.4. but i also dont try to hook the 001 up to my new i7 or complain that it wont work with a new machine, or that it's no longer supported because it's antiquated technology.
"old halfass technology (sorry, but its true)"
To me, mbox1 is more usable than mbox2 in every way and even the mbox3 in some ways because, unlike them, it has inserts
I can use the inserts to bypass the crappy internal preamps (that are terrible whatever the mbox version is. Actually, the mbox1 pres sound a little less crappy than the mbox2 pres, -designed by focusrite-)
I can plug in some good pres instead, for example my Neve DPA, and skip completely the analog stage to hit directly the AD converters.
This way I can get professional sounding tracks, that are usable in a pro project.
Mbox2 and 3 don't have inserts, you can't bypass anything and your nice pres are sucked into the mbox analog stage funnel, so using nice pres is pretty much useless.
The Mbox1 might be old, but it's a piece of hardware that I bought new 5 years ago, and continued investing in upgrades since, It works fine, I'm also using it with an API A2D going SPDIF and its sounds amazing that way (clocked to the API through spdif)
Other companies like for example Metric Halo are still supporting hardware that they launched 10 years ago, like the Mobile I/O 2882.
More than supporting, they update the hardware !
You can keep your 10 yrs old box get the "2nd card" hardware that brings the box back at the top of technology:
Check it out yourself:http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/
That is a responsible policy, both customer-wise and environment-wise
not a disposable throw,buy,throw,buy policy.
"they cant write a new driver and then not support it."
Really?
How come they are doing it right now: Digi002 is compatible with PT9 but not supported
look it up on avid's site
And they don't even have to write a new driver, it's already there DCAM (they'd just have to unblock that driver for the mbox1)
Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo_91 View Post
Nick. Is dcam 8.0.1 working with PT9? I couldnt get that combination to work.
Hi,
I haven't tested it with PT9 but it works fine with Logic, Reaper...
The ploytec driver work better though (lower buffers available)
When you said it was working at 128 samples, was it with PT9 or with another DAW?
Did you purchase PT9 as a crossgrade with your mbox1 serial ?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tovirg View Post
This is total BS
To me, mbox1 is more usable than mbox2 in every way and even the mbox3 in some ways because, unlike them, it has inserts
I can use the inserts to bypass the crappy internal preamps (that are crappy whatever the mbox version is, actually, the mbox1 pres sound a little less crappy than the mbox2 pres, -at least they were designed by focusrite-)
I can plug in some good pres instead, for example my Neve DPA, and skip completely the analog stage to hit the AD converters.
Mbox2 and 3 don't have inserts, you can't bypass anything and your nice pres are sucked into the mbox analog stage funnel.
The Mbox1 might be old, but it's still a piece of hardware that I bought 5 years ago, and continued investing in upgrades since, It works fine, I'm also using it with an API A2D going SPDIF and its sounds amazing that way (clocked to the API through spdif)
Other companies like for example Metric Halo are still supporting hardware that they launched 10 years ago, like the Mobile I/O 2882.
More than supporting, they update the hardware !
You can keep your 10 yrs old box get the "2nd card" hardware that brings the box back at the top of technology:
Check it out yourself:http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/
That is a responsible policy, both customer-wise and environment-wise
not a disposable throw,buy,throw,buy policy.
"they cant write a new driver and then not support it."
Really?
How come they are doing it right now: Digi002 is compatible with PT9 but not supported
look it up on avid's site
The A2D makes anything with S/PDIF sound great.

The new MBox Pro has inserts and is certainly superior to that little thing in every way. While the new MBox doesn't have inserts... it's reported to have quite good sound. It also has more I/O and internal DSP. The A2D would do just fine with it as well.

The 002, for all intents and purposes, runs on an identical driver to the 003. So, while it may technically reach it's end of service, it'll probably still work until they discontinue the 003 family. The original MBox has been stated to require a new set of drivers.

Either way...

It's been discontinued. It happens. It's been happening since digital technology has existed and it will continue to happen. If I could run a CS2000 on a modern OS, I would, but it doesn't work that way. Just gotta use it as it is. It's still a great board, and it still works, but getting support from Euphonix is impossible. Believe me.

If someone is still writing drivers for it, all the power to them. I applaud anyone who makes an effort to keep their favourite gear running. I know I have.

Avid, is never going to write new drivers for it. Unless a third party is able to write reliable drivers for it, it will remain in it's current state until it dies. Just as there are those who run 001s on G4s, and even older systems. The CS2000 I work on has a Pentium 133 as it's brain. Still works like a charm, but it will never run on Windows 7.

If you have it working, use it... but don't pretend there aren't better options out there. Use what you like, and so will the rest of us.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-08-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo_91 View Post
Please tell me this is a viable combination... I was PISSED when Digi dropped support for my old Mbox, and I'll be DOUBLE pissed if their cries of "use any interface you like!" means "any interface from any other manufacturer, but only the digidesign ones we dictate that you can use"

There is no logical reason to not support the old Mbox apart from them packing their coffers because they're forcing me to upgrade. It works just fine on 8.0.1 on Snow Leopard!
I totally agree- why are Avid letting people use any other audio interface, execpt their own brand? this is crazy- so unfair...
Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 AM

Hi, I own an mbox 1- I understand your point, when you say "some people have been lucky"- does this mean that some poeple have managed to find a driver on the web that lets you use the mbox 1 with PT9?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
The A2D makes anything with S/PDIF sound great.

The new MBox Pro has inserts and is certainly superior to that little thing in every way. While the new MBox doesn't have inserts... it's reported to have quite good sound. It also has more I/O and internal DSP. The A2D would do just fine with it as well.

The 002, for all intents and purposes, runs on an identical driver to the 003. So, while it may technically reach it's end of service, it'll probably still work until they discontinue the 003 family. The original MBox has been stated to require a new set of drivers.

Either way...

It's been discontinued. It happens. It's been happening since digital technology has existed and it will continue to happen. If I could run a CS2000 on a modern OS, I would, but it doesn't work that way. Just gotta use it as it is. It's still a great board, and it still works, but getting support from Euphonix is impossible. Believe me.

If someone is still writing drivers for it, all the power to them. I applaud anyone who makes an effort to keep their favourite gear running. I know I have.

Avid, is never going to write new drivers for it. Unless a third party is able to write reliable drivers for it, it will remain in it's current state until it dies. Just as there are those who run 001s on G4s, and even older systems. The CS2000 I work on has a Pentium 133 as it's brain. Still works like a charm, but it will never run on Windows 7.

If you have it working, use it... but don't pretend there aren't better options out there. Use what you like, and so will the rest of us.
"Pretending" ?? who is pretending ?? I'm talking about actual facts here.
There are other companies out there with better policy/loyalty to their customers (and the environment).
Metric Halo is one example among others. (RME would come to mind as well)
They have made a hardware update available, I'm not "pretending" anything here but stating a fact.
"The new MBox Pro has inserts" hey... that's not the same price range.
"The original MBox has been stated to require a new set of drivers."Really? Who stated that? Avid? that makes sense..
Or did you mean "The original MBox has been intentionally blocked out so that thousands of users must start from scratch again and buy their new hardware, or their new software.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tovirg View Post
"Pretending" ?? who is pretending ?? I'm talking about actual facts here.
There are other companies out there with better policy/loyalty to their customers (and the environment).
Metric Halo is one example among others.
They have made a hardware update available, I'm not "pretending" anything here but stating a fact.
"The new MBox Pro has inserts" hey... that's not the same price range.
"The original MBox has been stated to require a new set of drivers."Really? Who stated that? Avid? that makes sense..
Or did you mean "The original MBox has been intentionally blocked out so that thousands of users must start from scratch again and buy their new hardware, or their new software.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515