Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2016, 03:24 PM

Default Video Engine Playback Window Not Working

Hello, I've been trying to get pro tools 12 to work for quite some time now... Everything works well I have quicktime installed but when I open up a session with a video file it opens up a weird window with a black tiny video and the rest of the window is white. the video does play but it is only the size of a thumbnail and you cant change the size or anything. The problem is that it doesnt open quicktime to what it should look like. I've attached a file so you can see the small video does play when i press space bar but it clearly does not open quicktime the correct way. I've reinstalled and rebooted over 20 times now. even taking my computer to a repair shop and completely reset to being new.
quicktime works fine outside pro tools and there is no other solution online. I really would not have to result to switching to mac when ive just bought this computer a year ago... there must be a way to get pro tools to connect to quicktime

my computer is windows 8.1 16 gig ram 64 bit 2.5 ghz intel core i7
wasting too much time on this garbage.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (33.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-18-2016, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Video Engine Playback Window Not Working

Pro Tools uses the Avid video engine from Media Composer, not Quicktime, for video replay. One thing to do first is open the video in Quicktime, open the Movie Inspector window, and see what format and resolution the video is in. Never seen this problem before so I have to suspect the video file first.
If PT was garbage, professionals like me would not be using it.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 12-19-2016, 10:22 AM

Video Format is motion jpeg a 854 x 480 millions 32bit float stereo (L R) 48.000 khz. I tried using any other video and the same problem.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:15 PM

Finally.. After testing a few other options to find out what was wrong.. my anti virus was not telling me what programs it excludes even though it was set to tell me.. also my video graphics driver was not big enough.. even though it was.. but installing intel hd graphics driver which might of been the problem but it was only when i found out that my antivirus was excluding it. i avidavincodec.qtx (WS.Reputation.1) was a medium risk.. I thought I would never find a way.. but just keep on testing other programs that do the same thing and it was when I downloaded avid media composer that it told me my video graphics were too small so I updated the driver. seriously thought I feel like I can finally move forward with this program.